Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Mayan Creation Myth from 300 BCE Discovered


maklelan

Recommended Posts

Posted
Link here. Not trying to say anything about the Book of Mormon, but I think this kind of stuff is fascinating.

It is always very exciting to see new discoveries (anywhere). If I see new Mesoamercian discoveries it will be the first thing I click on even before college football news (that's saying something). I wish more excavations were being done.

Posted
Richard Hansen, who is quoted in the presentation, and who I believe is one of the leaders of the dig, is LDS.

http://www.miradorbasin.com/About/hansen.htm

Then all of what he says is false because he is so biased. Lol.

THis is quite exciting.

Posted

Anyone know why the Mayans, now able to link the pre- to the present, but why they are never mentioned in the BoM?

They were the dominant culture, people and knowledge for over 2000 years, but no mention.

Posted
Anyone know why the Mayans, now able to link the pre- to the present, but why they are never mentioned in the BoM?

They were the dominant culture, people and knowledge for over 2000 years, but no mention.

huh??

I dont understand what you are trying to communicate.

Posted
Anyone know why the Mayans, now able to link the pre- to the present, but why they are never mentioned in the BoM?

They were the dominant culture, people and knowledge for over 2000 years, but no mention.

They are mentioned. You must not be reading it very closely.

Posted
Link here. Not trying to say anything about the Book of Mormon, but I think this kind of stuff is fascinating.

Interesting, but you must know more about the find--or the symbols--than is in the video to say this is a discovery of a "Mayan Creation Myth," since they only speak of "cosmic monsters, gods, and serpents," in the video. Does that phrase necessarily lead to the conclusion that the discovery is a "creation myth"? Care to elaborate?

Posted
Interesting, but you must know more about the find--or the symbols--than is in the video to say this is a discovery of a "Mayan Creation Myth," since they only speak of "cosmic monsters, gods, and serpents," in the video. Does that phrase necessarily lead to the conclusion that the discovery is a "creation myth"? Care to elaborate?

Those are the main players in the Mayan creation epic.

Posted

I was just watching a History Channel episode on the Mayans last night. I've found the arguments made by Book of Mormon scholars about the obsidian swords and the repeated references in the text about swords being "stained" to be very compelling. The show described how the swords were made and how deadly they were. Only a writer who was aware of how the swords were made would know how they could be stained. On an Old World sword, such staining would be highly unlikely; however, on a New World sword it would be virtually unavoidable.

As a Latter-day Saint, I'm also impressed by how many of the world's temple ceremonies involved creation scenarios. Much of this in Joseph Smith's day was unknown, but even considering our own temple worship, why is the creation process so integral and why is it so important? Then to see the creation theme found in other cultures' sacred worship makes me realize that Joseph Smith was either receiving it from God, or he was somehow drawing on a universal motif and lucked out (again).

The more we learn of the Mayans and Mesoamerica, the more we should be eliminating them and it as the Book of Mormon people and lands if, and I emphasize if, someone just dreamed up the whole book.

MexicanSword-1.jpg

Posted
As a Latter-day Saint, I'm also impressed by how many of the world's temple ceremonies involved creation scenarios. Much of this in Joseph Smith's day was unknown, but even considering our own temple worship, why is the creation process so integral and why is it so important? Then to see the creation theme found in other cultures' sacred worship makes me realize that Joseph Smith was either receiving it from God, or he was somehow drawing on a universal motif and lucked out (again).

I'm having a hard time understanding your point. Are you saying that since the temple contains creation scenarios, this is some sort of evidence of JS' inspiration since ancient cultures also have creation stories?

I can scarcely believe that's what you really meant, but am having difficulty figuring out what else you mean, given the fact that there is no similarity between the Mesoamerican creation myths, as seen in this beautiful find, and the LDS creation story as seen in temples.

Posted
I was just watching a History Channel episode on the Mayans last night. I've found the arguments made by Book of Mormon scholars about the obsidian swords and the repeated references in the text about swords being "stained" to be very compelling.

I confess that I am a hold out on this one. I can't clearly tell if the swords are literally stained for figuratively stained. There is a context where it works literally, but it is just as easily literary. I find it difficult to use this as an argument for a particular type of sword.

Posted
As a Latter-day Saint, I'm also impressed by how many of the world's temple ceremonies involved creation scenarios. Much of this in Joseph Smith's day was unknown, but even considering our own temple worship, why is the creation process so integral and why is it so important? Then to see the creation theme found in other cultures' sacred worship makes me realize that Joseph Smith was either receiving it from God, or he was somehow drawing on a universal motif and lucked out (again).

Most religious themes involve Jungian archetypes that also describe the evolution of the personality. I think our endowment ceremony can be seen in that light too. Our lives proceed from the natural man (matter unorganized) toward, (hopefully!) order and perfection. Our personal creation of our "selves" parallels God's creation and organization of the world. As we take on successive covenants, paralleled in the temple, we grow from principle to principle. Finally, we "overcome" the world and if faithful, become exalted.

Posted
I confess that I am a hold out on this one. I can't clearly tell if the swords are literally stained for figuratively stained. There is a context where it works literally, but it is just as easily literary. I find it difficult to use this as an argument for a particular type of sword.

Deane Matheny also argues that there is no evidence of the sword-like macuahuitl from the BoM time periods, but rather the club-like macuahuitl.

Posted
Deane Matheny also argues that there is no evidence of the sword-like macuahuitl from the BoM time periods, but rather the club-like macuahuitl.

Have they found clubs with obsidian that match BoM times? I was under the impression neither has been found macuahuitl or club that dates to the BoM.

Posted
Have they found clubs with obsidian that match BoM times? I was under the impression neither has been found macuahuitl or club that dates to the BoM.

I don't think that any macuahuitl has been formally identified dating to BoM time periods, but Matheny was referring to the claims of Hamblin and Merrill that the sculpture in the Loltun Cave in Yucatan, dated to 150 BCE-250 BCE shows a macuahuitl. The sculpture is known as El Guerrero (the warrior). Some people have called the object the figure is holding a macuahuitl, but Matheny believes, as do Freidel and Andrews, that the object is really an axe, which is seen in other iconography and is a symbol of Maya rulership.

Posted
Richard Hansen, who is quoted in the presentation, and who I believe is one of the leaders of the dig, is LDS.

http://www.miradorbasin.com/About/hansen.htm

I know Richard personally, and have chatted with him through the years. The ***ONE*** thing he has emphasized to me is that we are not even in the *beginning* phase of Mesoamerican discoveries and archaeology. THE main problem is how much we are losing to 2 causes... erosion of the monuments and robbers. They destroy all context, and pretty much everything else as well in their wanting loot and gold and things to sell for money.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...