Walk Like An Egyptian Jew....wlak Like An Egyptian Jew......

Olavarria

Hey,

What do you think of the possible word play with the name Nephi?

There are examples in Phonecian and Aramaic(2 semetic languages) of egyptian names containing "nfr" element in egyptian changing into "npy" in semetic, with medial 'p' sounding as "f" in semetic languages.

http://maxwellinstitute.byu.edu/pdf.php?fi...p;type=amJtcw==

While Im at it, I might as well remind everyone that Nephi is also an example of a semitization of an egyptian man's name. It means "beutiful"; and when taken into consideration make sthe BoM seem all the more poetic as it was written in egyptian.

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/nefert.htm

Nephi 1:1

1) I NEPHI, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was tought somewhat in all the learning of my father; and having seen many afflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yea, having had a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God , therefore I make a record of my proceedings in my days.

Enos 1:1

1) BEHOLD, it came to pass that I, Enos , knowing my father that he was a just man â??for he taught me in his language and also in the nurture and admonition of the Lordâ??and blessed be the name of my God for itâ??(Compare with 1 Nephi1:1)

The name Enos derives from a poetic Hebrew word for "man, mankind"(Bowen).

Bowen explains it better.

http://farms.byu.edu/display.php?table=insights&id=459

Notice that the two versus are parrallel, and that Nephi corresponds to goodly, the way Enos corresponds to man. Its as if Enos is imitating Nephi's style.

Nephi apparently derived from a Middle Egyptian word, nfr, meaning "good, fine, goodly". Nfr itself is an attested Egyptian name. At this time (fifth century B.C.) in Egypt, the final r had fallen out of the pronunciation of nfr, and this remained the case in Coptic, where the form was noufi(Gee). Nefer can also mean beautiful. Nefertari, meaning "the Lovely One". Nefertiti means "the beautiful one has come" in Egyptian.

3 Nephi 2:16

16 And their young men and their daughters became exceedingly fair , and they were numbered among the Nephites, and were called Nephites . And thus ended the thirteenth year.

4 Nephi 1:10

10 And now, behold, it came to pass that the people of Nephi did wax strong, and did multiply exceedingly fast, and became an exceedingly fair and delightsome people

Mormon 6:17-19 Mormon when speaking of the defeated Nephites

17 aO ye fair ones , how could ye have departed from the ways of the Lord! O ye fair ones , how could ye have rejected that Jesus, who stood with open arms to receive you! 19 O ye fair sons and daughters, ye fathers and mothers, ye husbands and wives, ye fair ones, how is it that ye could have fallen!

ps. I was going to add a link to that old 80's song "walk like an egyptian", but for some reason it sounded lot better when I was 7 yrs old.

... (good thoughts) ...

ps. I was going to add a link to that old 80's song "walk like an egyptian", but for some reason it sounded lot better when I was 7 yrs old.

I liked the dance best of all, personally.

... especially the way that little gal who was the lead singer did it. :P

There was a cave know as the cave of Lehi. It was occupied around 600 BC. The cave was occupied by a family leaving Jerusalem. Also in al-Ula not far from the proposed route of Lehi's travel there is an inscription bearing the word NFY usually in arabic they will insert the vowels a and i to read Nafi. Furthermore there is a town about 8 hour drive from it called Nafee

Her Amun, here lies potential proof: There is a town in northern Utah County named Nephi. Now, here is the kicker - Father Silvestre Velez de Escalante in his exploration of the Southwest, once entered Utah County. Is this only mere coincidence or could it be a sign of proof?

Her Amun, here lies potential proof: There is a town in northern Utah County named Nephi. Now, here is the kicker - Father Silvestre Velez de Escalante in his exploration of the Southwest, once entered Utah County. Is this only mere coincidence or could it be a sign of proof?

and Moroni and Bountiful and Lehi, and Brigham and...

huh?

what does that have to do with a word play on a semtic transliteration of an egyptian word?

Oh come now HerAmun, take yer blinders off dude! :P

<_< blinders? Im completly blind.

Thing is, when Nephi is viewed for what it is( a semetic transliteration of an egyptian man's name) the BoM seems all the more poetic. SOme may consider the word/names near constant pairing with good and fair/delightsome to be coincidencial but I see it as evidence that the authors knew what the word meant.

Joseph,Sidney and Oliver didnt know what it meant, but Mormon did.

facts are stuborn things

QUOTE(Severian @ Jun 26 2007, 02:24 PM) post_snapback.gif

huh?

what does that have to do with a word play on a semtic transliteration of an egyptian word?

Look, in the name Nephi, you have the letters NH but not M. My guess is that by using both the Kabalah and the I-Ching, you could come up with some combination in Father Escalante's name to equal the letter M and then you would have NHM, which would be worthy perhaps of a paper at FARMS. If you do write it and are feeling generous, you could list, Anjien, e=mc2 and myself in the footnotes.

Hey,

What do you think of the possible word play with the name Nephi?

There are examples in Phonecian and Aramaic(2 semetic languages) of egyptian names containing "nfr" element in egyptian changing into "npy" in semetic, with medial 'p' sounding as "f" in semetic languages.

http://maxwellinstitute.byu.edu/pdf.php?fi...p;type=amJtcw==

Where is the "r" in Nephi? It is there in Egyptian names like Nefertari and Nefertiti. It seems like it would be important. I'd be more convinced if Nephi's name were Nepher-ha.

Where is the "r" in Nephi? It is there in Egyptian names like Nefertari and Nefertiti. It seems like it would be important. I'd be more convinced if Nephi's name were Nepher-ha.

Read Gee's article. The "R" is dropped when the "-nepher" is written in Phonecian and Aramaic(sister languages to hebrew). Nefi is how a semite from 600bc pronounced the word nefer.

Read Gee's article. The "R" is dropped when the "-nepher" is written in Phonecian and Aramaic(sister languages to hebrew). Nefi is how a semite from 600bc pronounced the word nefer.

I'm not sure I agree with that, but I suppose it's possible. My dad is from New England and he adds an "r" to the end of some words that are not spelled with an "r". :P

I'm not sure I agree with that, but I suppose it's possible. My dad is from New England and he adds an "r" to the end of some words that are not spelled with an "r". :P

Would this not give impetus to the thought of just one Hill Cumorah and its being located in Upstate New York, just a stones (or plates) throw from New Englanders and their pronunciations?

gees article gives exmple of it actually happening, ala some inscriptions found at elephantine

Archived