Seriously No Politics ×

Article Re: SCOTUS Review of Gay Rights Case (Wedding Websites)

17 minutes ago, Stormin' Mormon said:

@pogiI think at this point, we're just bound to hash and rehash everything we've already said.  As my mama always says: "A man convinced against his will is of his own opinion still."

I'm convinced that current First Amendment law and precedent is squarely on the side of 303 Creative.  I think the precedents in Wooley, Hurley, Janus, and others will be upheld in the 303 Creative case when the Court takes up the issue in the fall. I'm confident enough to predict a 7-2 decision in favor of 303.    

But there is much more ambiguity about those precedents when they are applied to bakers and cakes.  Both of us have strong opinions about how those precedents SHOULD be applied in those more uncertain circumstances.  I've said what I said about those issue, you've responded and I've responded to your responses.  I don't see how this conversation progresses past a continued repeat of everything we've already said before.   

So, I thank you for a respectful dialogue, and commend you for engaging on the issues in a logical and level-headed manner and take my leave. 

Thank you for the respectful dialogue as well. I appreciate it.  It was interesting.  I wouldn't be surprised with a 7-2 outcome in favor of the 303 case either, based on the current makeup of the court.  As I said previously, it all boils down to personal opinion and interpretation.  A different court makeup might rule differently.  I only hope that the ruling doesn't have too broad of implications, rendering Title VII toothless and useless.