The Vision of the Rod of Iron

KJV Rev 19:15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword [JST: proceedeth the word of God], that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron [JST: the word of his mouth]: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.

"And it came to pass that I beheld that the rod of iron which my father had seen was the word of God[.]" (1 Ne 11:25)  "[God's] eternal word [] cannot pass away[.]" (2 Nephi 9:16)  "For [God] executeth all his words; and they have gone forth out of his mouth, and his law must be fulfilled." (2 Nephi 9:17)  "[God] never doth vary from that which he hath said." (Mosiah 2:22)  "[God] cannot deny himself[.]" (Mosiah 15:27)  "[A]nd [God] lieth not but fulfilleth all his words." (3 Nephi 27:18)  "I know that thou speakest the truth, for thou art a God of truth and canst not lie." (Ether 3:12)

Whatever other interpretations may be attached to the phrase "the word of God," the words which God has spoken by his own mouth are the word of God: they are the rod of iron.

In the matter of interpreting God's commandments, Alma commands Helaman to "be diligent in keeping the commandments of God as they are written," (Alma 37:20) thus showing us that the commandments of God are to be both understood, and executed, literally.  This is a repetition of Deut 12:32: "What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it," which also rules out binding interpretations.  Thus, "I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say, but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise." (D&C 82:10)

1 Nephi 13

40 And the angel spake unto me, saying:

These last records which thou hast seen among the Gentiles

shall establish the truth of the first,

which is of the twelve apostles of the Lamb,

and shall make known the plain and precious things

which have been taken away from them

and shall make known to all kindreds, tongues, and people

that the Lamb of God is the Eternal Father and the Savior of the world

and that all men must come unto him or they cannot be saved.

41 And they must come according to the words

which shall be established by the mouth of the Lamb.

And the words of the Lamb shall be made known in the records of thy seed

as well as in the records of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

Wherefore they both shall be established in one,

for there is one God and one Shepherd over all the earth.

Questions:

1. What are "these last records" Nephi has seen among the Gentiles?
  2. What are "the first, which is of the twelve apostles of the Lamb?"
  3. What does "according" in v. 41 mean in this context?
  4. What are "the words which shall be established by the mouth of the Lamb," made known in both the records of Nephi's seed as well as in the records of the twelve apostles of the Lamb?  (Hint: the narrowest possible reading cannot fail to be true; which words did Jesus speak alike in both records?)
  5. Do the words Jesus spoke by his own mouth in both the New Testament and the Book of Mormon qualify as the rod of iron?  If they do so qualify, to what destination do his words lead?  If they do not so qualify, how do they fail?
Edited by Jared Livesey
adding underlines, adding commas
  • Like 1
29 minutes ago, Jared Livesey said:
  • What are "these last records" Nephi has seen among the Gentiles?
  • What are "the first, which is of the twelve apostles of the Lamb?"
  • What does "according" in v. 41 mean in this context?
  • What are "the words which shall be established by the mouth of the Lamb," made known in both the records of Nephi's seed as well as in the records of the twelve apostles of the Lamb?  (Hint: the narrowest possible reading cannot fail to be true; which words did Jesus speak alike in both records?)
  • Do the words Jesus spoke by his own mouth in both the New Testament and the Book of Mormon qualify as the rod of iron?  If they do so qualify, to what destination do his words lead?  If they do not so qualify, how do they fail?

OK. I’ll bite.
1. The Book of Mormon. 
2. The New Testament. 
3. Under the direction and commandment of the Lord. 
4. Declaration of his divinity, Sermon on the Mount/Temple, instructions on baptism and the Holy Ghost, ordination of apostles, institution of the sacrament, etc.

5. Yes, to the Tree of Life. Off onto forbidden paths, into the wasted area, the river, or the Great and Spacious Building. 

Edited by Bernard Gui