Popular Post consiglieri Posted December 24, 2015 Popular Post Posted December 24, 2015 I was in the MTC 36-years ago today. I arrived November 7, 1979, and was one of the elect who got to spend both Thanksgiving and Christmas there. Shortly after getting to the MTC, I heard a lot about how missionaries were supposed to be "ambassadors of Christ." It got into my head that if that were the case, I should have a testimony of Jesus Christ. I had already received a strong witness of the Book of Mormon, and the Book of Mormon testifies abundantly of Jesus Christ, but the thought that came to me was I needed something more specific in this regard. And so I decided to pray until I received that testimony. After everybody was asleep, I went into the large, open shower area and knelt down, determined that I would not stop praying until I had received a witness of Jesus. Like Enos. But you know something? Those shower floor tiles are hard. And cold. I didn't last very long, and gave up within 15-minutes with no answer to my prayer. I may have tried again, but I am not sure. I did, however, make my request for a witness part of my daily personal prayer. Still nothing. Well, one thing led to another and I had all but forgotten my unanswered plea for a witness of Jesus. It was now almost Christmas and all the missionaries got to go to the Wilkinson Center for a Christmas presentation. I filed in with all the other missionaries in the section reserved for them, separate and apart from the other students and civilians. The person conducting the meeting announced that the opening hymn would be Hark, the Herald Angels Sing. One of my favorites. Then something amazing happened. As we all began to sing, I felt the Spirit descend from above in great power. The image it brought to mind was like in a political convention when they let loose hundreds of balloons from a big net, and all the balloons slowly fall down on everybody below. That is how it felt when the Spirit descended on me. I didn't know what to make of it at first, I was so startled. Then, as we continued to sing, I understood that the Spirit was witnessing to me the truth of the lyrics of the song we were singing. I understood that this was the answer to my prayer. That this was my witness of Jesus Christ. These are the words the Spirit testified to me are true: Hark the herald angels sing Glory to the newborn King Peace on earth and mercy mild God and sinners reconciled! Joyful all ye nations rise Join the triumph of the skies; With the angelic host proclaim 'Christ is born in Bethlehem' Hark! the herald angels sing Glory to the newborn King. It is a witness I have never forgot. And I thought it would be appropriate to share it with the board on this Christmas Eve. Merry Christmas, everyone!!! 9
Kenngo1969 Posted December 24, 2015 Posted December 24, 2015 We would have our disagreements, no doubt, largely because at least one of us (me) sees things, not as they are but rather as I am. That said, I've always tried to remember the old adage that if two people are of exactly the same mind on absolutely everything, one of them is unnecessary. However we might disagree, I certainly don't think you're unnecessary. Thank you for sharing your witness and how you gained it. What unites us certainly is more important than what divides us. Merry Christmas. 1
Zakuska Posted December 24, 2015 Posted December 24, 2015 I had a very similar experience consig. I also went into the MTC just before Thanksgiving but I got in Portugal just before Christmas and my spiritual experience didn't hit me until I got there. I had started reading the 4 Gospels through for the first time completely in the MTC and as I was doing this and completed the 1st 4 Gospels I was praying to know if it was true and If the Christ was my Savior and the Spirit Hit me so strong with Warmth and peace. I know that he LIVES! I also had several De-ja-vu moments and manifestations at the time which confirmed to me that I had indeed been called on a mission by a Prophet of God who had been lead by the spirit. Merry Christmas to All! 1
Zakuska Posted December 24, 2015 Posted December 24, 2015 (edited) 2 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said: We would have our disagreements, no doubt, largely because at least one of us (me) sees things, not as they are but rather as I am. That said, I've always tried to remember the old adage that if two people are of exactly the same mind on absolutely everything, one of them is unnecessary. However we might disagree, I certainly don't think you're unnecessary. Thank you for sharing your witness and how you gained it. What unites us certainly is more important than what divides us. Merry Christmas. But isn't that kind of what we preach in the Godhead? That to see the son is to see the father because they are so alike and of one heart and one mind that it would be hard to tell the difference? Edited December 24, 2015 by Zakuska
Kenngo1969 Posted December 25, 2015 Posted December 25, 2015 8 hours ago, Zakuska said: But isn't that kind of what we preach in the Godhead? That to see the son is to see the father because they are so alike and of one heart and one mind that it would be hard to tell the difference? I wasn't referring to the godhead. That might be why you're confused.
Recommended Posts