The Tangible Miracle

CCRW

This is one of those things, which as I note in the "who am i" thread boarders on the foolish to share.  But being a fool, what can I say.

I was an adrenalin junky, there are likely several miracles in my life in this regard, but there is one that haunts me, as it is tangible.  Instead of some scientific explanation, it would seem that science proved this one to be such.

El Cap, 45 years old leading the seventh pitch of fourteen on Zodiac.  Zodiac is completely over vertical, besides the first pitch, there is only one other pitch with a ground fall possibility, the Black Tower , a C3 and the one pitch you just do not fall on … I fell, zippering 4 pieces of gear in a 30’ fall, stopping about 20' above that point.  Upon jugging back up to the last piece of gear, which some how held me from likely a fatal fall, I find myself hanging on this:

number 5 Brassy

Its about the size of your little fingers finger nail.  It is mathematically improbable that it would have held the violent action of jugging back up to it and basically impossible that it would have held the fall.

I hate the church, the craziness of so many things which us critics know so well, the pain inflicted on many, the pain of that parking lot.  And yet their is something about those old mystic desires which also haunt me, always buried in there somewhere, making no sense and so intangible, and yet that fall from 13 years back, I just can not deny that God caught me that day.

This is one of those things, which as I note in the "who am i" thread boarders on the foolish to share. But being a fool, what can I say.

I was an adrenalin junky, there are likely several miracles in my life in this regard, but there is one that haunts me, as it is tangible. Instead of some scientific explanation, it would seem that science proved this one to be such.

El Cap, 45 years old leading the seventh pitch of fourteen on Zodiac. Zodiac is completely over vertical, besides the first pitch, there is only one other pitch with a ground fall possibility, the Black Tower , a C3 and the one pitch you just do not fall on … I fell, zippering 4 pieces of gear in a 30’ fall, stopping about 20' above that point. Upon jugging back up to the last piece of gear, which some how held me from likely a fatal fall, I find myself hanging on this:

number 5 Brassy

Its about the size of your little fingers finger nail. It is mathematically improbable that it would have held the violent action of jugging back up to it and basically impossible that it would have held the fall.

I hate the church, the craziness of so many things which us critics know so well, the pain inflicted on many, the pain of that parking lot. And yet their is something about those old mystic desires which also haunt me, always buried in there somewhere, making no sense and so intangible, and yet that fall from 13 years back, I just can not deny that God caught me that day.

I wonder if any waivering or lapsed Latter-day Saints have ever come to realize something I've known all along? God has deliberately allowed the restored gospel to unfold in the way it has so that, by design, the arguments the human mind can form against the restoration seem very formidable and even overwhelmingly convincing. In order to preserve our free agency, the Lord has no choice but to establish.a state of affairs wherein the arguments that can be formed against the restored gospel are, at least to the carnal mind, just as powerful, if not seemingly more powerful than the spiritual arguments that can be arrayed in the restoration's defense.

That his work might go properly forward, God could not allow the evidence in favor of the restored gospel to be so convincing that there would be no need for a fiery and harrowing trial of faith in order for potential believers to gain a true spiritual witness that the restored gospel is true. We are told that we will "receive no witness until after the trial of our faith," so the arguments that can be amassed against the restoration have to be powerful and convincing enough to the mind of flesh that only powerful revelations from the God of heaven have enough power to offset the convincing arguments marshalled by the human mind against the truth of the restored gosple.

There should be no surprise in any of this because the scriptures make it clear human logic and scientific methodologies for discovering objective truth are formidable foes against gospel truth when a carnal mind is left to its own devices, unwilling to be open to inspiration from heaven by the exercise of living faith. For example, though it's much easier and emmanently more reasonable for the human mind, unaided by God, to believe Mary got pregnant because she in reality "knew a man" than it is to believe the Bible and Book of Mormon accounts that Mary was a virgin at the time she conceived Jesus and that he was the literal Son of God.

So what you speak of in the op are haunting and still burning embers of spiritual witness from a time in your life when revelation from heaven was able to overcome the earthbound mind of the fallen human nature. Because God in his infinite wisdom has deliberately allowed conditions to exist on earth that make a successful trial of faith necessary before anyone can know ultimate reality (spiritual truth), it all comes down to whether we are going to trust in the arm of flesh or trust in the mind of the Spirit that comes from God. By placing all of us as free agents right smack-dab in the middle of a stream where to two opposing forces converge with two very compelling but diametrically opposed arguments -- one argument being temporal in nature and the other spiritual -- we are blessed with a perfect freedom to choose between the Spirit of God and spiritual life or the flesh and spiritual death. I find it heartening that after all this time the embers of your faith still glow.

Edited by Bobbieaware

The mind of man, with the direction of the Evil one, is capable of confusing even the wisest of men IF they give him free reign to dwell in our hearts.  Nothing is so formidable to our spiritual death as a willingness to entertain the Liar and follow where he leads us.

What has saved me is being able to reflect on several very specific spiritual experiences.  Like most people I have come up against things I don't understand; I have encountered things I do not like in the Church or agree(d) with; and yet I am incapable of leaving it.  I know when I am rationalizing my lackadaisical response to the Church's and the Spirit's promptings.  It is too easy to simply admit my sinful nature, I also have to face the fact that I fall far short of being noble, engaged as a disciple.  Yet, I know that he remains my Savior even in my current state and that I belong in His Church.  

I just try to overlook all of that which may annoy just as I want the Savior to overlook all the areas where I fall so short of being righteous.