Sorry About This Post...

LOSTONE

I’m sorry if this post does not belong here and I fully understand if it gets locked. I just feel so frustrated and need a safe place to release it out. This site seems to be the safest I have at this time.

Today I was at my church. It’s a non-Mormon, Christian church. I like the church and people alot. I serve ( volunteer ) in a ministry. Always have from the time I have been apart of this and other churches. I kind of lost my composure with someone I was serving with today. In general conversation as we all have at church and social situations, the person brought up negative remarks about Mormons and their believes and life style and so on. I am a little touchy when it comes to people being negative about Mormons or the LDS if they don’t know nothing about them other than their bias assumptions. I asked this person if they knew anything about Mormons or the LDS from first hand experiences? They said no and I kind of told them to shut up in a less than polite way for talking like an ignorant ( bleep ). I lost my cool and did go back and apologize to the person. They seem to be so so about my apology. I understand and can’t blame them. I should of been more mature and respectful in my response to them. I kind of did a similar reaction at my home Bible study group Thursday evening. I just get so tired of hearing people bad mouth something they have not made effort to explore or learn about. I get tired of hearing lies and insults about something people have not made effort to explore or learn about. It gets on me after a while cause I have made the efforts and learned alot I never knew, but even so, I don’t go around bring it up. Only if it is brought up or asked to me first. Sorry, but I get frustrated and annoyed.

I wish there was a  LDS camp I go run away to sometimes cause I get so annoyed at people who talk trash. Even if there was, my wife wouldn’t go so I couldn’t go. Ugh... My Mormon friends seem to get it, but others seem to not get it. Why are people so willing to judge? Are they so lazy that it’s easier to judge than learn? I have got to do a better job at being more composed.

Ok, sorry again if I shouldn’t of posted this here. It was a bit of a vent release.

A lot of folks, the only information they have about Mormons is when the annual anti-Mormon speaker comes through.  If all I knew about Evangelicals came from say, Secular Humanists, I might not think too kindly of them, either. 

But I understand. I confess to having been frustrated a few times when I was told what I "really" believe. 

Vent away. It is easy to judge others without actual knowledge . Years ago there was a lady in my area who would find fault with other ladies because they didn't go out much and do a lot of volunteering etc. She was married but without children. Some time later she adopted and then , surprise, got pregnant. I didn't hear her speak any more about her previous problems with other ladies who had several young kids. Experience is a great teacher. It may take a lot of inner strength but try to just be understanding of your church friends lack of understanding of Mormons.

Lostone;

Thank you for your forthright honesty. Good points have already been made by Strapplinglad and Buzzard above. I would like to add that, perhaps, if you refocused your attention away from the ignorance of what your Christian friends tell you regarding Mormonism and more on their intent, I've no doubt that your conversations will be more corrigible. If gou focus on their ignorance, then it seems easy to view how "stupid" they are and should just "shut up". However, if they say what they do regarding Mormonism out of a sincere desire to serve God then proceed at thst point. You can even bring up the truth of the importance of being honest and bearing correct witness of one's neighbors as kppose to false witness. Your friends will then, I think, be more prone to do their research. I've done the same with some fellow Mormons of mine in the past and though I do not know the final outcome of such an approach I did find that at a the moment all were edified.

Lostone:

Sometimes it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than it is to speak and remove all doubt. That doesn't mean we should always remain silent, but we should lovingly, and carefully tell our truth. You were right to tell your truth, and to apologize for how you told it. Stay firm in that truth.

I’m sorry if this post does not belong here and I fully understand if it gets locked. I just feel so frustrated and need a safe place to release it out. This site seems to be the safest I have at this time.

Today I was at my church. It’s a non-Mormon, Christian church. I like the church and people alot. I serve ( volunteer ) in a ministry. Always have from the time I have been apart of this and other churches. I kind of lost my composure with someone I was serving with today. In general conversation as we all have at church and social situations, the person brought up negative remarks about Mormons and their believes and life style and so on. I am a little touchy when it comes to people being negative about Mormons or the LDS if they don’t know nothing about them other than their bias assumptions. I asked this person if they knew anything about Mormons or the LDS from first hand experiences? They said no and I kind of told them to shut up in a less than polite way for talking like an ignorant ( bleep ). I lost my cool and did go back and apologize to the person. They seem to be so so about my apology. I understand and can’t blame them. I should of been more mature and respectful in my response to them. I kind of did a similar reaction at my home Bible study group Thursday evening. I just get so tired of hearing people bad mouth something they have not made effort to explore or learn about. I get tired of hearing lies and insults about something people have not made effort to explore or learn about. It gets on me after a while cause I have made the efforts and learned alot I never knew, but even so, I don’t go around bring it up. Only if it is brought up or asked to me first. Sorry, but I get frustrated and annoyed.

I wish there was a  LDS camp I go run away to sometimes cause I get so annoyed at people who talk trash. Even if there was, my wife wouldn’t go so I couldn’t go. Ugh... My Mormon friends seem to get it, but others seem to not get it. Why are people so willing to judge? Are they so lazy that it’s easier to judge than learn? I have got to do a better job at being more composed.

Ok, sorry again if I shouldn’t of posted this here. It was a bit of a vent release.

No matter what they said, if you lost your cool apologize...do what Christ would do. Of course that excludes making a whip out of cords. :)

You seem deeply touched by mormonism and your friends here.  Do you see yourself in the future taking missionary lessons?

If it wasn’t for my wife’s uncomfortably with exploring the LDS, I would like to go further in exploring and active in the LDS. My wife means alot to me and I am not willing to mess with her or our marriage so I am unable to go to the next step in my interests in LDS / Mormon.

Oh, and it there more to do during the week with the LDS church than just weekend services? I am one who like to get involved and be active in my faith.

I had to chuckle at your description of the event. I thought, "at least he isn't a Mormon."  In all seriousness, you did nothing that wasn't natural. It was huge of you to opologize. Most wouldn't have.

I've loved reading your posts. Your efforts in faith are very much appreciated. There's plenty of time in your exploration of the Church. I think your wife will come around as she recognizes changes in you. It might take you off guard when she does, but it will be a sweet and spirtual moment when she consents to your pursuit of the LDS faith.