Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Help With Greek?


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I do not read Greek. This is taken from 1 Clement 36:2. Can someone help me with

the translation?

dia. tou,tou avteni,swmen eivj ta. u[yh tw/n ouvranw/n\ dia. tou,tou evnoptrizo,meqa th.n a;mwmon kai.

Yes, I realize this does not use the Greek alphabet.

Thanks.

Bernard

Edited by Bernard Gui
Posted

Hoole's Translation:

36:2 Through him we look steadfastly to the heights of the heavens; through him we behold, as in a glass, the immaculate and lofty countenance of God the Father; through him the eyes of our heart were opened; through him our foolish and darkened understanding springeth up again to his marvellous light; through him the Lord hath willed us to taste of immortal knowledge; who, being the brightness of his glory, is so far better than the angels, as he hath, by inheritance, obtained a more excellent name than they.
Posted (edited)

Hoole's Translation:

Long time no see USU.

The book I own says "the high heaven" instead of "the heights of the heavens."

Maybe a significant difference? That's the part I'm wondering about.

Bernard

Edited by Bernard Gui
Posted

The more literal rendering is "the heights of the heavens." The difference is just a stylistic variation in translation.

Thank you. That clears things up.

Bernard

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...