John Lewis Testimony On "Mormon Scholars Testify"

Daniel Peterson

There's a fellow on another board -- for a brief time, earlier, he used to post here -- who routinely claims that no truly rational person can be a theist, declares that he would pass over scientists for employment at his company if he found out that they believe in God, etc.

I find him really quite astonishing. Sometimes I wonder if he isn't satirizing arrogant scientistic dogmatism. But, on balance, I think he's serious.

Anyway, I couldn't help but think of him when "Mormon Scholars Testify" posted this:

http://mormonscholar...91/john-s-lewis

I first heard of Dr. Lewis via a story about a gathering of scientists in or near Rome. There is, believe it or not, a Vatican Observatory, and naturally enough in that light, an official Vatican astronomer. This Vatican astronomer, I was told, had convened a conference on science and religion, or some such theme, and the participants were having dinner at the end of one of the conference days. The conversation turned to religions that are intrinsically anti-scientific, and one of them brought up Mormonism as a prime illustration of that type of religion, an obviously ridiculous and anti-intellectual faith. "Not so," responded the Vatican astronomer. "My dissertation director at MIT was a Mormon, and he's one of the finest scientists I know." I had to find out who that MIT professor was, and it turned out to be John Lewis.

There's a fellow on another board -- for a brief time, earlier, he used to post here

Under two different names, incidentally.

-- who routinely claims that no truly rational person can be a theist, declares that he would pass over scientists for employment at his company if he found out that they believe in God, etc.

I find him really quite astonishing. Sometimes I wonder if he isn't satirizing arrogant scientistic dogmatism. But, on balance, I think he's serious.

Anyway, I couldn't help but think of him when "Mormon Scholars Testify" posted this:

Testimony of John S Lewis

So.

Not content with pillaging the words of a deceased Mormon scholar such as Leonard J. Arrington, and publishing them for a purpose he couldn't possibly agree with -- namely the very same purpose for which he published them in his lifetime -- you've now reverted to doing the same thing to living people?

Have you no shame?

I first heard of Dr. Lewis via a story about a gathering of scientists in or near Rome. There is, believe it or not, a Vatican Observatory, and naturally enough in that light, an official Vatican astronomer. This Vatican astronomer, I was told, had convened a conference on science and religion, or some such theme, and the participants were having dinner at the end of one of the conference days. The conversation turned to religions that are intrinsically anti-scientific, and one of them brought up Mormonism as a prime illustration of that type of religion, an obviously ridiculous and anti-intellectual faith. "Not so," responded the Vatican astronomer. "My dissertation director at MIT was a Mormon, and he's one of the finest scientists I know." I had to find out who that MIT professor was, and it turned out to be John Lewis.

Humph.

It doesn't matter how good he is; he's a believer, and therefore could never possibly be good enough to work for the great Dr Wertlos.

Besides -- and if you thought you could sneak this one past us, you were wrong -- the title of your website is "Mormon Scholars Testify." Lewis is a scientist, not a scholar. Ha! What have you got to say to that?

Regards,

Pahoran

I have a LDS friend who got her PH.D. In Astrophysics and I forwarded her Bro. Lewis' testimony, she always appreciates hearing other members in the Astro Stuff field!

Do you think she'd be willing to contribute an entry? I would love to include something from her.

I wish bro. Fletcher's testimony was available!

http://en.wikipedia....mes_C._Fletcher

If I can find a good printed testimony from him, maybe I'll do it. I like to include a testimony from a particularly distinguished deceased Mormon scholar or scientist every once in a while. So far, I've posted entries for my friends Davis Bitton and Truman Madsen, for Leonard Arrington (whom I knew somewhat), and for Henry Eyring (whom I never met). I don't want it to be too frequent, but I'm happy to do so -- and it doesn't exactly discourage me to have learned, from recent episodes, that it inflames certain critics almost to the point of apoplexy when I do it.

Do you think she'd be willing to contribute an entry? I would love to include something from her.

If I can find a good printed testimony from him, maybe I'll do it. I like to include a testimony from a particularly distinguished deceased Mormon scholar or scientist every once in a while. So far, I've posted entries for my friends Davis Bitton and Truman Madsen, for Leonard Arrington (whom I knew somewhat), and for Henry Eyring (whom I never met). I don't want it to be too frequent, but I'm happy to do so -- and it doesn't exactly discourage me to have learned, from recent episodes, that it inflames certain critics almost to the point of apoplexy when I do it.

I can definately ask her! she is a convert and has had some amazing experiences in the Church. She is Swedish and came to Canada here to do her doctorate and is just amazing person!

Archived