Seriously No Politics ×

Was/Is Jesus Married?

inquiringmind

brightpath:

There is nothing precluding someone whom is married from having an eye single to the glory of God.

In Matt Jesus gave the parable of the Eunuchs, meaning he was not married. Jesus made himself a eunuch for the Kingdom of God's sake. Therefore he was not married. Jesus tells us from his own mouth about this mystery.

In Matt Jesus gave the parable of the Eunuchs, meaning he was not married. Jesus made himself a eunuch for the Kingdom of God's sake. Therefore he was not married. Jesus tells us from his own mouth about this mystery.

I personally don't advocate the "married Jesus" theory (although I don't rule it out), because I believe that the weight of scriptural evidence is against it; but I don't accept your narrow, black and white reading of the scriptures either. That scripture could have another meaning: it could mean that Jesus had been married, but He ended His marital relationships once He began His public ministry among the Jews, so that He could devote His entire time to His ministry. We too require our young missionaries to remain celibate during the period of serving their missions; but once they have completed their missions and return home they are free (and expected to) get married.

I personally don't advocate the "married Jesus" theory (although I don't rule it out), because I believe that the wright of scriptural evidence is against it; but I don't accept your narrow, black and white reading of the scriptures either. That scripture could have another meaning: it could mean that Jesus had been married, but He ended His marital relationships once He began His public ministry among the Jews, so that He could devote His entire time to His ministry. We too require our young missionaries to remain celibate during the period of serving their missions; but once they have completed their missions and return home they are free (and expected to) get married.

One of those rare occassions in which I find myself agreeing with Zerinus.

One of those rare occassions in which I find myself agreeing with Zerinus.

Would this not be consistent with the prohibition of 'associating with women' that applied to some of the offices of the temple priests during the time of their service (going purely off of memory here so I may be mixing things up)?

Would this not be consistent with the prohibition of 'associating with women' that applied to some of the offices of the temple priests during the time of their service (going purely off of memory here so I may be mixing things up)?

Bingo.

How is that reconciled with this?

Luke 10:38

From Journal of Discourses 2:210, Orson Hyde, March 18, 1855:

"I discover that some of the Eastern papers represent me as a great blasphemer, because I said, in my lecture on Marriage, at our last Conference, that Jesus Christ was married at Cana of Galilee, that Mary, Martha, and others were his wives, and that he begat children."

Look it up. The link to the appropriate LDS (BYU) website is here.

"I discover that some of the Eastern papers represent me as a great blasphemer, because I said, in my lecture on Marriage, at our last Conference, that Jesus Christ was married at Cana of Galilee, that Mary, Martha, and others were his wives, and that he begat children."

Someone beat you to it.

Someone beat you to it.

I understand that.

However, one of the moderators seemed to dismiss the earlier post because it had been copied and pasted. Once it had been confirmed as a copy and paste, others seemed to ignore it as well. I find that a bit strange since the post reflected the words of prophets of the Church as delivered in General Conference, later confirmed in their journals, and as documented on a Church (BYU) maintained website.

We have the words of Church leaders telling us what the answer is to the question is, and yet folks here continue to debate as if no guidance has been given.

• 3 weeks later...

I personally don't advocate the "married Jesus" theory (although I don't rule it out), because I believe that the weight of scriptural evidence is against it; but I don't accept your narrow, black and white reading of the scriptures either. That scripture could have another meaning: it could mean that Jesus had been married, but He ended His marital relationships once He began His public ministry among the Jews, so that He could devote His entire time to His ministry. We too require our young missionaries to remain celibate during the period of serving their missions; but once they have completed their missions and return home they are free (and expected to) get married.

God's ways are not man's ways and man's ways are not God's ways. This scripture is very clear and to the point. There is no Grey area here. Christ stated before he gave this mystery that not all can handle this. Christ made himself a eunuch for the kingdom of God's sake! He was not conceived in sex nor did he have sex.

Doesn't the Gospel of John say that Jesus and His disciples were invited to the wedding in Cana?

Why would Jesus be invited to His own wedding?

Doesn't the Gospel of John say that Jesus and His disciples were invited to the wedding in Cana?

Why would Jesus be invited to His own wedding?

He wouldn't be.

BTW foxtrot is an ex-Mprmon, currently an atheist. He is trying to bind us to an old statement for his own cheap, rhetorical ppurpose.

Archived