Seriously No Politics ×

If God doesn't want us to sin . . .

consiglieri

Things are working out exactly "as planned". Father knew we would sin, but that's far from saying He wanted us to sin or that He required that we sin.

Father is at least as good a tactician and strategist as Napoleon or Patton. And they both knew how to use the enemy's habits and history to gain their objectives. Patton famously read Rommel and could use that information when he planned his own campaigns against the German.

God does not want us to sin. If He did, he'd be going against His own nature (which is not even possible): "For I the Lord cannot look upon sin with the least degree of allowance". He is holy.

But, knowing we would sin, He provided a way by which we could repent and return to holiness ourselves so we can live with Him again. But, while He planned for it, it was not His will.

Lehi

Thank you LeSellers, I was hoping that somebody would turn up and put a bit of sense into this.

And in the hopes of clarity (since I am known to be confusing), there can be no such thing as a command to sin. It is an oxymoron.

It is only through violating commandments that we sin.

And that is why God gives us commandments he knows we cannot keep.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

That is the false theology of Protestantism and Evangelicalism. It is a far cry from teachings of Mormonism.

It isn't about wanting us to sin. It's about recognizing the necessity of experiencing opposition in order to acquire knowledge.

Experiencing opposition does not necessitate sinning. As I said before, Learning good and evil by experience is achieved by experiencing adversity, not by sinning. As Paul said of Jesus, "Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered" (Hebrews 5:8 ). He learned obedience like the rest of us by experiencing adversity, not by sinning. We, too, don't need to sin to "learn obedience," but experience adversity.

If He was solely governed by His inability to abide sin, He would intercede every time an evil act occured, and yet He doesn't.

He does not do that because He respects our freewill. That does not mean that He condones our sins, or even regards it as inevitable.

It is: "If Adam puts forth his hand and partake of the fruit, we will provide a savior for him . . ."

Zerinus, that only establishes Adam's incorruptible state in the garden. Once Adam fell, as Lehi said he must, if became when which is precisely why there is there is no path to salvation except through the redemption of Jesus Christ. The words you're referencing were uttered before death and hell entered the world.

Zerinus, that only establishes Adam's incorruptible state in the garden. Once Adam fell, as Lehi said he must, if became when which is precisely why there is there is no path to salvation except through the redemption of Jesus Christ. The words you're referencing were uttered before death and hell entered the world.

I take back something I said. There is no "inevitability" about sin. No one has to sin. The fact that as a consequence of the Fall mankind has acquired a tendency to commit sin, does not mean that he has to sin, or that it is necessary for him to sin.

It is: "If Adam puts forth his hand and partake of the fruit, we will provide a savior for him . . ."

Here's an interesting quotation for you:

"For they would not hearken unto his voice, nor believe on his Only Begotten Son, even him whom he declared should come in the meridian of time, who was prepared from before the foundation of the world." (Moses 5:57)

Sounds to me like the fall was a fait accompli.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

Archived