Bill “Papa” Lee Posted July 13, 2009 Posted July 13, 2009 Danielâ?¦concerning your recent seminar Aaron Shaf posted on CARM that he attended. He posted thisâ?¦Went to go hear Daniel C. Peterson talk on the theme ascending to God on the mountain as it metaphorically relates to Ancient Near Eastern cosmology and Mormon temples. He's definitely a disciple of Nibley with all of his parallelisms.AaronshafIf you want to see the rest you can check it out. I was just wondering did he make any trouble.
LifeOnaPlate Posted July 13, 2009 Posted July 13, 2009 haha I love the Shaf methodology. "He said some stuff I think I read in Nibley at some point, so uh, must be that same stuff."
Daniel Peterson Posted July 14, 2009 Posted July 14, 2009 He came up to me after the presentation and introduced himself.How does one get access to his comments?
Nightingale Posted July 14, 2009 Posted July 14, 2009 DCP: How does one get access to his comments?Here's the link to that thread:http://www.christiandiscussionforums.org/v...973118#poststopI'm not sure if you need to be registered to view threads on that board. I've only glanced over there a few times. I couldn't find what I was looking for tonight so I did register. I find the board somewhat confusing but more time spent looking around on it will make it more clear, I'm sure.Regarding the comments by this Aaron guy, I didn't see anything outrageously offensive that he said (of course, his comments aren't directed at me so it's easy to distance oneself and/or let things wash over. It is always different if you are the object under discussion). The thread so far seems what you'd expect from Christians who don't believe in using temples, etc. One poster does ramp up the offens-o-meter with her remarks directed to you. Some people seem to take things quite personally, whether they are meant that way or not. Some people also seem to think that they can read minds. Even psychiatrists don't claim to possess that ability, do they? Heck, even bishops and stake presidents and maybe even the top Mormon leaders don't claim to read minds. Except for any stray "revelations" they may have about certain individuals, maybe. But it's interesting how some posters can comment on other posters' hearts and minds - maybe special insights waft through the ether to them?
maklelan Posted July 14, 2009 Posted July 14, 2009 Regarding the comments by this Aaron guy, I didn't see anything outrageously offensive that he saidHe picks and chooses where he will be offensive and where he will be ostensibly respectful.
Nightingale Posted July 14, 2009 Posted July 14, 2009 He picks and chooses where he will be offensive and where he will be ostensibly respectful.I'm not familiar with him at all. I should be clear that I meant on that thread I didn't see anything that leaped out at me as being offensive from him but other people's impressions could obviously be different. It's hard not to feel at least a twinge when someone vociferously differs with our own beliefs and opinions, even on a message board, especially if something is deeply meaningful to us. I understand the [very] "wide divide" that exists between the two theologies (or the way many members on both sides understand them). Less understandable to me is how personal some people get. For me, at least, that approach doesn't cause me to trust more in the opinions and beliefs expressed; rather, the opposite - I then take nothing at face value from that source. Such strong bias is likely to lead to warped perceptions, in my experience.
Daniel Peterson Posted July 14, 2009 Posted July 14, 2009 LOL. Just looked.Apparently, according to one of the posters there, I lurk on the site constantly, and even post under a couple of sock puppets.That's news to me.I've never posted there in my life, and hadn't been there in so long that I didn't even know that you had to register to look -- when did that happen? -- and, so, had to register just now in order to see what the sages there were saying.It amuses me that they think I'm hiding under every bush on their wretched message board. (Such delusions of importance.) Some of the folks on the so-called "Recovery" board also like to fantasize about my supposedly frequent sock-puppeteering there, as well as about being monitored by the Strengthening Church Members Committee and even by the Brethren [!]. None of this, so far as I can tell, is even close to the truth -- I haven't posted there in ages, and, when I did, it was under my own name -- but pretending that I'm there apparently gives them some sort of deliciously paranoid thrill, and I guess it's cheaper than going to a Friday the 13th movie.
kawikadave Posted July 14, 2009 Posted July 14, 2009 I've never been on the CARM site and I won't be registering, but their scripture cracked me up:"1 Peter 3:15, "but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence."That's not what I've heard goes on over there.
LifeOnaPlate Posted July 14, 2009 Posted July 14, 2009 Shaf's gmail message today is a none-too-clever swipe at the LDS temple. Surprise, surprise.
Ron Beron Posted July 14, 2009 Posted July 14, 2009 Apparently, the name I registered under a few years ago was banned (go figure), but I re-registered and asked the simple question of how Dr. Peterson's comments on the cosmic mountain equated with Mormon theology and I got this peculiar yet predictable answer."What does it matter.....he is a disciple of Nibley, so for sure he does not know what he is talking about and is going to somehow try to make the lie of mormonism seem believable."I cannot deal with this...
Sargon Posted July 14, 2009 Posted July 14, 2009 It amuses me that they think I'm hiding under every bush on their wretched message board. (Such delusions of importance.)More than any other message board I've seen, that one (CARM) really does believe itself to be at the epicenter of some cosmic struggle between Jesus and Joseph. They actually believe their obscure and unpopular message board makes a difference in the world.
Bill “Papa” Lee Posted July 14, 2009 Author Posted July 14, 2009 He came up to me after the presentation and introduced himself.How does one get access to his comments?Here is one comment...The guy makes me want to throw things at him. By reading between the lines of Peterson's work, I've come to the conclusion that he doesn't really believe that Mormonism is true. He gets to sit around most days, on internet forums, with a bunch of misinformed fans lapping up every word of his bull,You should make this your new sig line.
Nightingale Posted July 14, 2009 Posted July 14, 2009 Here is one comment...You should make this your new sig line.To be clear, that comment was not written by the original poster mentioned.
ebeddoulos Posted July 14, 2009 Posted July 14, 2009 They actually believe their obscure and unpopular message board makes a difference in the world.I am just curious how one goes about measuring board popularity or the lack thereof. Is it the number of unseen observers? (Is this measurable?) Is it the number of registered members? Is it the number of active posters? (If so how does one define active?) Is it the number of posts? (Didn't the MADB just surpassed one million posts? Has the "competition" had a similar milestone?) Is it some ratio of all of those? Or is it something entirely different? Is the popularity meter varifiable? Can one measure the poularity of one board against another? Is there an association of boards that compiles the statistics to make it somewhat "official"?
kawikadave Posted July 14, 2009 Posted July 14, 2009 I am just curious how one goes about measuring board popularity or the lack thereof. Is it the number of unseen observers? (Is this measurable?) Is it the number of registered members? Is it the number of active posters? (If so how does one define active?) Is it the number of posts? (Didn't the MADB just surpassed one million posts? Has the "competition" had a similar milestone?) Is it some ratio of all of those? Or is it something entirely different? Is the popularity meter varifiable? Can one measure the poularity of one board against another? Is there an association of boards that compiles the statistics to make it somewhat "official"?Using the Alexa web service is one way to get a rough estimate:Alexa comparison of MADB and CARMBased on Alexa, they have more more traffic and visitors.
Sargon Posted July 14, 2009 Posted July 14, 2009 I am just curious how one goes about measuring board popularity or the lack thereof.I form my opinion based on what experiences I have. Speaking specifically of the "Mormon" section of the CARM message boards, in my experiences there I have only seen a small handful of the same rabid anti-Mormons and two or three consistent LDS posters. When I venture into other LDS themed forums, the population there seems to be bigger (with the exception of CC).Feel free to disagree.
Bill “Papa” Lee Posted July 14, 2009 Author Posted July 14, 2009 To be clear, that comment was not written by the original poster mentioned.It was Kate23
Daniel Peterson Posted July 14, 2009 Posted July 14, 2009 Here is one comment...You should make this your new sig line.I have to admit that it's tempting. Maybe I will.Although her comments there on CARM do seem to me to illustrate perfectly the remark from Voltaire that is my current signature: "J'ai toujours fait une pri
Nightingale Posted July 14, 2009 Posted July 14, 2009 I have to admit that it's tempting. Maybe I will.Although her comments there on CARM do seem to me to illustrate perfectly the remark from Voltaire that is my current signature: "J'ai toujours fait une pri
Sargon Posted July 14, 2009 Posted July 14, 2009 Although her comments there on CARM do seem to me to illustrate perfectly the remark from Voltaire that is my current signature: "J'ai toujours fait une pri
Reklaw Posted July 14, 2009 Posted July 14, 2009 I recall "debating" an individual in a Facebook forum "Mormons are Christians." He randomly showed up and irritated a few of the members. I engaged him and basically told him to make a thread and I would gladly debate him on 1. The Godhead, 2. Faith vs. Works, & 3. Sola Scriptura. He refused and kept inviting me to CARM. I explained that it made no sense for him to come to the forum, throw out a few insults and unsubstantiated claims, then refuse to actually debate unless it was in a different forum of his choosing. I even made a thread for him and requested that no one else post besides me and him. Still refused. I called him out and said he wanted to be able to hide behind his friends at CARM whenever he got into trouble. He admitted to not knowing enough to debate and I advised him to then shut his mouth until he did. He left the group and deleted his comments. I found it rather amusing, though some of the "logic" presented by our critics does sadden me.
Reklaw Posted July 14, 2009 Posted July 14, 2009 I've never posted on CARM before. I find it rather entertaining. You should come have a ball, Dr. Peterson.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.