An Even Newer Proposed Daguerreotype Of Joseph

jmhughes

Check this out. This one makes more sense, imo. What do you guys think.

post-9941-1206673095_thumb.jpg

Yes -- This appears to be the photo that I mentioned in the other thread --

The one that Elder Rand Packer obtained from the Nauvoo area.

Uncle Dale

[[added -- here's a smaller version: http://olivercowdery.com/smithhome/smithpix.htm ]]

This photo resembles JS more than the one from the other thread. While I am not a historian, it seems pretty plain that this could be a photo of him. Am I the only one who thinks that the nose alone would be a dead giveaway?? He did seem to have a rather distinct one.

This photo resembles JS more than the one from the other thread. While I am not a historian, it seems pretty plain that this could be a photo of him. Am I the only one who thinks that the nose alone would be a dead giveaway?? He did seem to have a rather distinct one.

Thanks, for showing this JMHughes--this is one I haven't seen before.

Yes, the nose on this one looks like the Joseph Smith nose--the lips are right too. This one is actually very good, IMO. He looks the right age, he looks the right build. This one is one I can't just discount as easily as I could the other. However, naturally I'm still skeptical. I'm very curious of the provenance because it is such a remote possibility that Joseph ever had his picture taken and I'd like to know if it is possible to fake a daguerrotype. After Mark Hofmann, I think the days that LDS just trustingly accept things at face value are over. An old daguerrotype has some value, but the first known daguerrotype of Joseph Smith Jr. would be very valuable indeed.

This could be some sort of painting or something. Can it be verified as an actual drgtp.? I believe it looks much more like Joseph than the other one floating around.

That's my concern. I'm wondering if anyone has seen the actual daguerrotype and I'm wondering where there is information on this one. This could be an internet hoax. I don't think it would be hard at all to take a photo of an old daguerrotype from the time period and photoshop one of the newer paintings of Joseph Smith onto the head and then touch it up so that it looked authentic to distribute around on the internet.

It does look a lot like him, more so than the earlier photo that has been circulated on these boards. If it was actually a Daguerreotype that is difficult to determine, it does not really look much like those I have seen, they are somewhat luminous and difficult to reproduce. The Daguerreotype was invented in 1839 and it did make it to the U.S. by the early 1840's, so it would be a close call as far as the possiblity. There were at the time in the U.S. traveling photographers so it might be possible one came to Nauvoo, however I would think there would be some sort of a journal record of it because it was not a commonplace thing as photos are today so it would be a journal worthy event. Since Joseph was a prominent religious and political figure in the 1840's it is indeed possible. It could also be an internet "digital" fraud too. It does seem very familiar but the head does look a little large for the body so I am not sure, I would need more documentation to verify it as authentic.

Why did you expect him to be more portly? I guess I figured he would have been maybe in the Ohio time, but not the Nauvoo time.

I think it is definitely closer than that other one.

Later descriptions of JS include him being slightly portly.

I don't believe the drgtp. was invented or perhaps available before 1839 or so.

But dang this looks like what I'd expect.

The site is claiming the was taken around 1844 but I would expect Joseph to be a little

more portly than this in 1844.

Yeah, I'd think that also.

Another possibility is that it is a photo of Samuel H. Smith.

UD

I found the information on this daguerrotype:

http://www.templestudy.com/2008/03/27/an-e...type-of-joseph/

They claim the person who discovered it, found a copy of it in a book and that the original is in a Museum in Brazil.

I'm still skeptical, I'd like to be sure the original is in a museum, and what it's story is--what's it's provenance-who gave it to the museum and when did they get it? Does it purport to be Joseph Smith? If so, why have we never heard of it? If not, who is it supposed to be? More questions....

Found another site. This one gives the story of the person who found the photo of this new daguerrotype. Here is his story if anyone is interested in reading it.

http://ldsanarchy.wordpress.com/2007/10/15...ppeal-for-help/

It answered a couple of questions. The daguerrotype is in a book of daguerrotypes and the person is unknown. The only thing known is that it is supposed to have come out of New York in 1845. But still no information on the provenance.

Found another site. This one gives the story of the person who found the photo of this new daguerrotype. Here is his story if anyone is interested in reading it.

http://ldsanarchy.wordpress.com/2007/10/15...ppeal-for-help/

It answered a couple of questions. The daguerrotype is in a book of daguerrotypes and the person is unknown. The only thing known is that it is supposed to have come out of New York in 1845. But still no information on the provenance.

As I've been reading this thread, I found it funny how long it took before someone actually linked to the original web site and story. I am the one who discovered the daguerreotype seven years ago. I am the one who broke the story last October. I am the one who tracked it down. I am the one who posted a scan of it two days ago. Just visit the page quoted above to be alerted of new updates on this story and to get the information directly from the horse's mouth.

LDS Anarchist

Here is a Photoshopped version using the equalize function for brightness contrast. This picture shows better facial features than the original. It is clear he is wearing a vest and a coat. He seems to have a puffy shirt. The vest watch is apparent, and his hands are in the pockets.

post-1147-1206737731_thumb.jpg

As I've been reading this thread, I found it funny how long it took before someone actually linked to the original web site and story. I am the one who discovered the daguerreotype seven years ago. I am the one who broke the story last October. I am the one who tracked it down. I am the one who posted a scan of it two days ago. Just visit the page quoted above to be alerted of new updates on this story and to get the information directly from the horse's mouth.

LDS Anarchist

Welcome to the boards. Sounds like this has been pretty recent than that stuff is going on about the daguerreotype.

LDS Anarchist

Well your advertising must really stink, aye?

The originally cited blog (Temple Study) cited your blog, by the way. That's how I found your site. Cool find, b y the way. I would vote for yours over the currently featured one in that new book.

Archived