Breaking News

structurecop

I have been advised of a developing situation that may be of some interest to those who post here. One of my past professors who specializes in African tribal anthropology has been cataloging the foundational myths of an obscure Yoruban village near Ago-Iwoye in Nigeria, which differ from the â??mainstreamâ? Yoruban mythology in some critical ways.

The naming system of this village is unique in that many of their males bear decidedly Semitic names; in fact, Dr. S thinks Ago-Iwoye may have its roots in Yehoweh. Their myths are, like most of the Yoruban mythology, similar to biblical accounts of the creation: A creation of man from mud, a deified god-king, etc. Most striking, though, is that they claim to be descendants from an unbroken line of â??Travelersâ? who fled Egypt, wandered for years, and settled in Nigeria. They maintain a council of twelve elders, out of which three are shamans of a mystical order who lead the village in all details of living and spirituality. The village shamans receive revelation from Ashe, the father god (unlike traditional Yoruban belief) and his/its son Eango (cf. Yoruba Shango) who was prophecied to come and live a human life among his people, die, and return to Ashe but who appeared to them in his deified form thousands of years ago. He taught them moral lessons and also instituted their legacy of shamans and elders who rule in religious and political matters to this day.

I will continue to update you all as details come available.

coincidence, Coincidence, COINCIDENCE!

Monkeys and typewriters and all that, doncha know!

If there isn't two or three DVDs, yes produced thousands of years ago, cuz-we-all-know-if-there-was-a-God- said-God-would-use-the-technology-current-in-the-day-of-discovery-to-prove-to-us-that-it-is-true-without-us-having-to-think-twice-about-it-and-thus-not-require-us-to-have-any-faith-cuz-that-is-what-God-is-and-can-only-be-all-about -- no-faith-required-we-cannot-be-allowed-to-make-choices-everything-must-be-plain-as-day, then it simply is not worth thinking about thinking about it and thus we can summarily dismiss it without further consideration or notice. In fact, this-thread-should-be-closed-cuz-we-can't-have-anything-like-this-to-distract-all-the-peons-who-can't-analyze-the-facts-like-I-can. Did I say that we can summarily dismiss this "information" without further consideration or notice? Well, let me say it again then, we can summarily dismiss this "information" without further consideration or notice. There, I said it. And let me say this again, it is simple coincidence. Yes, coincidence. Since, it is a clear fact that something like this can't be true, then the only thing it can be is coincidence. Oh yeah, it is probably a Mormon or at least somebody who knows a Mormon, or somebody who has heard of Mormonism who is doing the so-called research. Whew, that seals it. We all know what Mormons find when they do research.

<_<

:P

If there isn't two or three DVDs, yes produced thousands of years ago, cuz-we-all-know-if-there-was-a-God- said-God-would-use-the-technology-current-in-the-day-of-discovery-to-prove-to-us-that-it-is-true-without-us-having-to-think-twice-about-it-and-thus-not-require-us-to-have-any-faith-cuz-that-is-what-God-is-and-can-only-be-all-about -- no-faith-required-we-cannot-be-allowed-to-make-choices-everything-must-be-plain-as-day, then it simply is not worth thinking about thinking about it and thus we can summarily dismiss it without further consideration or notice. In fact, this-thread-should-be-closed-cuz-we-can't-have-anything-like-this-to-distract-all-the-peons-who-can't-analyze-the-facts-like-I-can. Did I say that we can summarily dismiss this "information" without further consideration or notice? Well, let me say it again then, we can summarily dismiss this "information" without further consideration or notice. There, I said it. And let me say this again, it is simple coincidence. Yes, coincidence. Since, it is a clear fact that something like this can't be true, then the only thing it can be is coincidence. Oh yeah, it is probably a Mormon or at least somebody who knows a Mormon, or somebody who has heard of Mormonism who is doing the so-called research. Whew, that seals it. We all know what Mormons find when they do research.

<_<

Trying to read your post on less than 4 hours of sleep is like trying to figure out a rubix cube without moving any of the sides. Some one deserves to be shot, or at least muted. I prefer the silent films myself.

Can't wait to hear more structurecop

IF this account is correct, and IF there was no earlier cultural contamination, could these be "other sheep?"

I admit I would be more inclined to think they had an early Christian influence. Possibly, a Jewish influence before A.D. and then an early Christian influence, much like parts of N. Africa.

My concern is if they do not have writings or dateable artifacts, none can be proven. Not only that, but without those elements, even if they are a "lost tribe" or branch of Israel, they would in short have little benefit to bring people to Christ as an additional witness of his Divinity.

There, that's my cynical side.

Now then, personally I hope further research brings fruitful results for the affirmative that will bring many souls to a knowledge of their redeemer.

ethiopian_jews.jpg

They sound very similar to the Ethiopian Jews, who CLAIMED to have entered Africa even as far back as the time of Moses. When THEY were tested for Semitic DNA, *gasp* some of them actually HAD it. Unlike *cough* well, you know.

If this tribe does indeed prove to also have Semitic ties, they are not the first. See Wikipedia for a rather well-written article:

Beta Israel traditions claim that the Ethiopian Jews are descended from the lineage of Moses himself, some of whose children and relatives are said to have separated from the other Children of Israel after the Exodus and gone southwards, or, alternatively or together with this, that they are descended from the tribe of Dan, which fled southwards down the Arabian coastal lands from Judaea at the time of the breakup of the united Kingdom of Israel into two kingdoms in the 10th century B.C.E. (precipitated by the oppressive demands of Rehoboam, King Solomon's heir), or at the time of the destruction of the northern Kingdom of Israel in the 8th century. Certainly there was trade as early as the time of King Solomon down along the Red Sea to the Yemen and even as far as India, according to the Bible, and there would therefore have been Jewish settlements at various points along the trade routes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_Israel

That's all very interesting StructureCop.

Is this Nigerian tribe comprised of black Africans?

Did Eango, when he instituted the system of shamans and elders among the people do so by ordaining them with with Priesthood? Hmmm . . . . what does that do to the whole blood of Cain theory?

Does this tribe have a writing system, or are the "myths" passed through an oral tradition?

It seems that they were written only very recently, in the last 100 years or so when Christian missionaries devised a Latin-ized writing system for them. Prior to that they were only oral traditions but very complex.

Interesting. Are we certain this can't have been later Christian influence that syncretized with the native culture?

It is certainly possible. The Yoruba in general descended from the Nok Civilization which can be traced back to 900 BCE (incidentally, around the earliest days of David's reign).

There are also several instances where there are evidences of Hebrew origins and Judaistic practice across cultures. There are the Chiang-min of China , the seeming connection between Japanese and Hebrew languages , the report of New World explorers that some Mesoamerican tribes engaged in Jewish worship. NOVA gives a general outline over the course of three pages of these and other examples.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/israel/losttribes.html

http://www.haruth.com/ChiangMinJews.htm

Good to see you back.

Could this group have been an offshoot of the Jaredites or Nephites?

Seeing as how they are in Africa, it seems unlikely unless you assume trans-Atlantic movement went both ways (which would explain the cocaine mummies).

When can we expect to see a published study about this?

Dr. S. is working on a journal submission and perhaps a book. I asked for some transcripts of their mythology and some more info on their social systems which I will post as soon as I get them.

<_<

.................dead sea scrolls had group doing these things about a thousand years before anybody else..

:unsure:

Just so we don't get too carried away, let's all keep in mind that Israel existed, and that there is a lot of evidence that their religion was an evolution of other similar religions from the same area. There's no reason at all why this group can't have ties back to at least some people that was either Israel, descended from Israel, or preceeding Israel and having religious ties to the same peoples that Israel's religion descended from. This would be interesting, but it would have no bearing on whether or not their religion is true. I don't believe that the ancient Akkadian religion is true, nor that the ancient Ugaritic religion is true, nor the ancient Canaanite religion, nor any of the other potentially related religions. Showing an ancient relationship back to one of these religions would be interesting, but it would still be a relationship back to just another not true religion.

Imagine I found an African tribe with a religion showing signs of being descended from an ancient form of Buddhism. That would be interesting, and I'm sure could help flesh out our understanding of earlier population migrations, but would not be evidence for Buddhism being true.

Archived