Guest Posted June 1, 2014 Posted June 1, 2014 Very cool...if I did not have a broken back, I could install them as I have before, when the technology was still young. Inspected them where the technology was better, and now so cool.
strappinglad Posted June 1, 2014 Posted June 1, 2014 Great , now there will be more traffic delays as retrained paving crews install these all over America . I wonder how they will stand up to snowplows.
thesometimesaint Posted June 1, 2014 Author Posted June 1, 2014 Great , now there will be more traffic delays as retrained paving crews install these all over America . I wonder how they will stand up to snowplows. I watched as the Interstate highway system was built. We could use the same roadways as base material. These are essentially a lock and load system. So down times would be limited. Snow isn't a problem for them they heat themselves. So no more snowplows or salt on the highways.
strappinglad Posted June 1, 2014 Posted June 1, 2014 Sorry , but nature has a tendency to overwhelm technology and snow doesn't always come down slowly and gently. Once the solar panels get covered there will be little or no heat generated and after a few days we will need plows to clear the major dumps of snow. I can , however , see an advantage when there is freezing rain in Houston. Some areas of the country will be more suitable for these than others ,of course, but it does take advantage of a pre-existing structure and I await a full scale test of the concept. There should be 10 miles built in Arizona, and Washington State , and Minnesota.
thesometimesaint Posted June 1, 2014 Author Posted June 1, 2014 Sorry , but nature has a tendency to overwhelm technology and snow doesn't always come down slowly and gently. Once the solar panels get covered there will be little or no heat generated and after a few days we will need plows to clear the major dumps of snow. I can , however , see an advantage when there is freezing rain in Houston. Some areas of the country will be more suitable for these than others ,of course, but it does take advantage of a pre-existing structure and I await a full scale test of the concept. There should be 10 miles built in Arizona, and Washington State , and Minnesota. Freezing rain only sticks to something that is colder. IE; That's how ice cubes form. They are already doing small scale tests. As with any new technology there will be plenty of unseen "bugs" to work out before widespread applicability is established. It offers great potential. We'll just have to WAFO how well it does in more tests.
Recommended Posts