EllenMaksoud Posted June 28, 2013 Posted June 28, 2013 The Visitor's Center at the Portland Temple was dedicated a couple weeks ago, and much to my amazement, I was invited to attend at the last minute. It was particularly heart warming because those who organized it invited people from many faiths, including , most important to me, some Sikhs and a lovely Muslim couple that I have known for several years. She had previously known me as Khadijah and had never seen me sans Hijab.I was so proud of MY church for being so open to the community at large. I think the church is getting much better at doing things like this.One day, it is my dream to see Mormon Missionaries sitting quietly in Mecca, Saudi Arabia, discussing the various ideas on the fate of Jesus Christ, with Muslims, Mormons and even Baptists.
Hamba Tuhan Posted June 28, 2013 Posted June 28, 2013 I was so proud of MY church for being so open to the community at large. I think the church is getting much better at doing things like this.I think that you are right that we've got better, but it's a trait that's been with us since the beginning. Joseph Smith, after all, envisioned Nauvoo as a place where people of all faiths, including Muslims, would be warmly welcomed. 2
EllenMaksoud Posted June 28, 2013 Author Posted June 28, 2013 I think that you are right that we've got better, but it's a trait that's been with us since the beginning. Joseph Smith, after all, envisioned Nauvoo as a place where people of all faiths, including Muslims, would be warmly welcomed.This is true story: I once put on abaya and Niqab (full face and head covering) and walked into the visitor's center. It was practical joke that Elder Missionaries forced me to do. Much to my relief, the Missionaries there were quite friendly, and I started laughing so hard that it spoiled the whole joke.The Missionary president and I have agreed that I will do this no more. 1
Recommended Posts