Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

The Mormon Battalion


Recommended Posts

Posted

In viewing this video, I was able to take significant notes and simultaneously look things referred to on the internet. In the period from 1844 to the turn of the century, it is nearly impossible to grasp the number of historically significant events that occurred in the Mormon community. These early Mormons sat uneasily on a historical hot seat. I am starting to get a glimmer of understanding of what Men, Women and Children endured. Some today make such a stink over polygamy, but this laid alongside all the other suffering and sacrifice that early Mormons survived is nothing! Dirty, small minded people have tried to make something cheap of early Mormonism. Today something finally settled in to my soul, and it pleases me greatly.

Posted
Some today make such a stink over polygamy, but this laid alongside all the other suffering and sacrifice that early Mormons survived is nothing!

We can't really know how much suffering would have occurred if plural marriage was all they had to deal with (talking about family relationships and economics, not the federal persecution). Considering the stories of hardship from families that practiced monogamy it really makes me wonder.
Posted

In viewing this video,

Which video were you watching?

The early Saints had great challenges. Some were of their own making but most were as a consequence of a serious devotion to God when the Gospel was being restored. They had many things to overcome both in themselves and in the world -- just as we do -- but we have the benefit of their sacrifice and work. It is a good thing to be thankful for them.

I say this as a convert with no ancestors in the Church.

Posted

We can't really know how much suffering would have occurred if plural marriage was all they had to deal with (talking about family relationships and economics, not the federal persecution). Considering the stories of hardship from families that practiced monogamy it really makes me wonder.

This study has taken my faith to a new level. There is a lot of historical background, and I now have a more complete understanding of the context. For example, the Temple took more than 50 years to finish, and it had to be torn down in the beginning, owing to Federal Government issues, and the poor choice of foundation stones. Still the saints carried on.

I mean to carry on with this. I am most curious about church history from 1860-1999. Sure things have changed somewhat in those years, but for me, that is the power of the LDS church.

Posted

Which video were you watching?

The early Saints had great challenges. Some were of their own making but most were as a consequence of a serious devotion to God when the Gospel was being restored. They had many things to overcome both in themselves and in the world -- just as we do -- but we have the benefit of their sacrifice and work. It is a good thing to be thankful for them.

I say this as a convert with no ancestors in the Church.

The movie, "The Remarkable Journey of the Mormon Battalion", done by www.covenant-LDS.com. I purchased mine at Desseret Book Store. I believe the scholarship to be remarkable. About 90 Minutes.
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...