EllenMaksoud Posted March 27, 2013 Posted March 27, 2013 I thought that I had started a Thread on the Atonement, but I can not find it. I spoke in Sacrament Service last Sunday. I had around a Month to prepare. The first time that I was asked, I got nearly hysterical and refused. A day or so later, the Holy Spirit convinced me that I needed to do it.Along the way, I did a lot of research and the night before the message, I stumbled upon what I believe are seven steps in the process of Atonement. I wrote it all out in Word, in about 24 point print, highlighting certain key points. It was large enough to read if I needed to but I found that I did not need to just stand there and read it.I have to freely admit that I am very paranoid, so it is difficult to believe and take to heart some of what was said to me after. It felt phony to me, but I'm learning that when someone says you did well, it is good manners to just say thank you.So, the process as I see it first starts with: Contriteness, or a willing spirit.Faith, the gift of God.Belief in the Atonement, This takes prayer and study.Repentance, the Holy Spirit will teach you through Missionaries and others.Baptisim, this takes one with the priesthood. I did not believe this at first.Works, Faith without works is dead.I think there is one more step in there, but it will take more prayer and research.I am quite sure that I am not the first one to figure this out, but certain members of my Ward have said this was the best talk on the atonement they ever heard, and that I am a very talented speaker, and I teach with humor and passion.Now, I worry about becoming conceited. Mashallah! (No good comes to man but of God)How do those born in the covenant handle such matters?
CASteinman Posted March 27, 2013 Posted March 27, 2013 (edited) Your list is excellent as a list to describe how we take advantage of the atonement.I don't know what you had in mind, but I think that what might be missing from your list is "hope". Which may come in fairly early in the process.But I cannot think of the atonement without realizing that no matter how much we have to do to grab the ring... it is Jesus who forged it in the heat of terrible suffering and who now in love holds it out to us to grasp. This is also so key. Edited March 27, 2013 by CASteinman
Stargazer Posted March 27, 2013 Posted March 27, 2013 Don't know what being born in the covenant has to do with it, but whatever.I am not sure what matters you are referring to, actually. About giving talks? About the subject matter of the Atonement? A combination?This is actually a subject near and dear to my heart. Giving talks and the Atonement.But first, if someone compliments you on your talk, there are several possibilities as to why they might do it:they know you're new at it, and despite the obvious fact that you were out of your depth, you gave it your all, and deserve praise for it. They know that next time you'll do better, especially if you feel you did a creditable job this time. In other words, they are encouraging you.they know you're new at it, and although they didn't expect a polished job, they were genuinely surprised by your good performance, and wanted to encourage you,they thought you did a terrible job, but they didn't want to discourage you and so complimented you anyway -- as encouragementyou genuinely wowed them and they responded to thatUltimately it doesn't matter. If someone says they enjoyed your talk, you should take it at face value, and be grateful. I've given talks that I thought went poorly and was surprised to get compliments afterwards, and felt odd about it, but thanked the complimenters nevertheless. I know I have heard talks that inspired me, even though the speaker didn't do a good job technically, so I figure that's just the Spirit using a weak vessel.I love giving talks. I was a very publicly shy person much of my early life, but found that being put in front of a group to speak I lose my shyness. I have virtually never given a talk in any other venue than church, and perhaps that is the reason, I don't know. When I arrived in my present ward about 1985 I told the bishop that if he needed a sacrament speaker on short notice (a scheduled speaker being sick, or something), that he should feel free to call on me. And it's happened many times. I only rarely get asked to give a talk on "regular" notice. It's almost always a short-notice surprise. I didn't know why I did this back then, but later figured it out. It was to put myself in the position I once found myself when I gave a talk that I didn't write. I stood up, gave my introductory remark, and from then on until five minutes later my mouth didn't belong to me. Words came out that I didn't know I was about to utter until they popped into my head, and covered a subject I hadn't intended to cover. When I sat down I was thunderstruck. It was fairly early in my Church "career", but I realized what had just happened. To get asked to speak on short notice puts me into the position of being more easily used by the Spirit. It was such an exhilarating experience that I have longed for it to happen again. It hasn't, but nevermind.The shortest notice I ever got for a sacrament meeting talk was two hours. I didn't use a canned talk (pre-written), but made a quick outline and delivered it pretty well extemporaneously. It went quite well. The bishopric member who had asked me to speak was afterwards effusive in his praise -- "Excellent preparation!" he said. I guess he thought I had given the talk before. Oddly enough, I do better with less time to prepare. The talks that I have had a week or two to prepare for have generally not gone as well as the short-notice ones. That's why that I almost never start preparing a talk I have been given lots of notice for until a day or so before.I'm getting better at it as the years go by, and so will you! Sometimes I suggest that people try joining up with your local Toastmasters to get more practice giving talks -- unless you're in a small branch you won't have many opportunities. I will admit to having a bit of pridefulness when it comes to giving talks. I try to suppress this.
Recommended Posts