Damien the Leper Posted March 14, 2013 Posted March 14, 2013 Can anyone recommend an exceptional book about this woman? I'm trying to learn about important Jewish women. Thanks!
volgadon Posted March 14, 2013 Posted March 14, 2013 I can, she is actually really, really famous in the town next to where my family lives in Israel. 1
volgadon Posted March 14, 2013 Posted March 14, 2013 (edited) Try Cecil Roth's Dona Gracia of the House of Nasi. It is a classic. Also try his book on her nephew, the Duke of Naxos.A more recent book is Marianna D. Birnbaum's The Long Journey of Gracia Mendes. Edited March 14, 2013 by volgadon 2
volgadon Posted March 14, 2013 Posted March 14, 2013 I just want to add that Dona Gracia was one of the most phenomenal figures of the 16th century, period. 2
Damien the Leper Posted March 14, 2013 Author Posted March 14, 2013 I was briefly introduced to her recently and fell in love with her story...what little I was exposed to. Thanks for the recommendations, Volg.
Recommended Posts