Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Orpheus And The Gospel


Recommended Posts

Posted

I am currently reading a book by Ann Wroe called Orpheus:The Song of Life it basically talks about the history of Orpheus in philosophy and the arts. Some things that I found very interesting was the involvement of Orpheus in discussions of "Secret Knowledge". Without getting too complicated, the author engaged in a discussion of how Orpheus was equated with Moses, and how Moses learned many "secrets" while he was in the Royal House of Egypt, and these secrets were actually originally learned from Abraham. I guess Orpheus was actually considered a somewhat important figure in early Christianity due to this connection as well as some similarities to Jesus Christ. It's a great book, check it out!

Posted

I am currently reading a book by Ann Wroe called Orpheus:The Song of Life it basically talks about the history of Orpheus in philosophy and the arts. Some things that I found very interesting was the involvement of Orpheus in discussions of "Secret Knowledge". Without getting too complicated, the author engaged in a discussion of how Orpheus was equated with Moses, and how Moses learned many "secrets" while he was in the Royal House of Egypt, and these secrets were actually originally learned from Abraham. I guess Orpheus was actually considered a somewhat important figure in early Christianity due to this connection as well as some similarities to Jesus Christ. It's a great book, check it out!

There were Jewish identifications of Orpheus with David and Moses, and there were also pagan authors who considered Judaism a form of the Orhpic mysteries.

Posted

There are also connections with Jesus as the Good Shepherd and Orpheus. It wasn't unusual for early Christians to connote Jesus with mythological entities such as Helios, Mithras, etc.

Posted

The ancients tended not to dismiss the sacred stories of others out of hand, but considered them a corruption of their own beliefs, etc..

Posted

The more things change, the more they remain the same!

The great (I mean it!) Kerry Shirts is back! Yea!
Posted

The great (I mean it!) Kerry Shirts is back! Yea!

I found only one mere little mistake in your post Ron....... you missed a word........ you meant to say the great knucklehead Kerry Shirts is back! Yea! :search:

Posted

I found only one mere little mistake in your post Ron....... you missed a word........ you meant to say the great knucklehead Kerry Shirts is back! Yea! :search:

Oh...you're right...
Posted

The ancients tended not to dismiss the sacred stories of others out of hand, but considered them a corruption of their own beliefs, etc..

Sometimes they did the corrupting. For instance, the Sabbath tradition did not exist until the Exile, when the Jews picked up ideas from Babylon of the Shabbattu, the "full moon" which was the 15th day of the lunar cycle. There were four "evil days" on the seventh, fourteenth, twenty-first and twenty-eighth day of the month when the Babylonians did certain types of fasting. The captives reversed the meaning of these evil days and made them their own holy days. This new tradition was read back into the Torah when it was redacted from various existing documents. During this exile the priests needed a reason to blame the people for their sorry state, so they read the sabbath back into history by a year-day principle and said the Lord would let the Holy Land lie fallow until all the missed sabbath-years were caught up. Then they would return.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...