Diane Sawyer Interview With Mitt And Ann

Zakuska

Transcript: Mitt and Ann Romney's Interview With Diane Sawyer

http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=16150624

*** Warning *** Stay away from the comments section... the IQ level down there is pretty iffy.

Relevant to us:

DIANE SAWYER: But the other thing that we got online is more serious-- which is-- seriously intended. And I noticed that even a supporter of yours in Ohio said, "Will you talk more about being Mormon? Will you talk more about the fundamental role that that plays in your life and what it means to you to help everybody else learn more about it?" Is there more you want to tell people about it and why and how it's been central to you?

MITT ROMNEY: Well, I'm not running for pastor-in-chief. I'm running for commander in chief. But as people want to know more about my personal life and my faith and the fact that I served as a missionary for my church which is--

DIANE SAWYER: And a bishop.

MITT ROMNEY: --expected-- is expected for-- young men in my church and many of the young women, as well-- served as the pastor of my congregation for a number of years. I'm happy to talk about those experiences and do. And-- and so I'm-- if you'd like to ask-- ask questions about those things I'm happy to respond to them. And you know, in long--

DIANE SAWYER: Would you sit down sometime--

MITT ROMNEY: --in longer interviews.

DIANE SAWYER: --and really talk, the two of you, about something that-- holds a lot of-- of curiosity for people?

ANN ROMNEY: You know, I think for me the perspective that people need to understand is when Mitt was serving as bishop it was a very busy time in our life where we had all these young children, Mitt had a very demanding job. And for me it meant that I actually had more responsibilities in the home and I was doing more, but I never, ever regretted a minute that he spent. Because what he was doing most often was counseling people and helping people. And I think that for people to understand that again we have maybe not walked in everyone's shoes, but we've been caring and we've been there and we've been concerned. And for me I loved what it did for Mitt as a human being and as-- as a person for him to be able to have to counsel and worry and just pray with them and care for them and love them in a way that you would never have the opportunity to do. And as a mother so often we have that opportunity to really, really love someone and care for someone. For me I loved the fact that Mitt was doing this and helping others. And so I was never a person that was upset about, like, how much time was it taking and, you know, this is taking away from us. It was enriching our lives.

DIANE SAWYER: Well, do the people think you're reluctant to talk about being a Mormon?

MITT ROMNEY: Of course not. I don't think there's anyone particularly in the Republican primaries that doesn't know that I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the Mormon church and happy to talk about my experiences-- working as-- if you will, a pastor. In my church as you know they're not full time-- positions. It's a voluntary position, it's part time, I had a job at the same time. But I-- I'm happy to talk about that experience and do. We have town meetings as you know where I get asked questions from the audience and-- people ask-- and occasionally they do, "What was it like? What did you do--"

DIANE SAWYER: Are you surprised by the interest?

MITT ROMNEY: There's actually not much interest in the town meetings. The-- the questions I normally get are around issues like--

ANN ROMNEY: The economy.

MITT ROMNEY: --how are you going to fix the economy?

ANN ROMNEY: The economy and jobs.

MITT ROMNEY: What-- what are the-- yeah, it-- it's-- what are you going to do about-- about energy independence, are we going to do about encouraging legal immigration, what are we gonna do about getting good jobs--

ANN ROMNEY: And--

MITT ROMNEY: --why are incomes not rising.

ANN ROMNEY: And Diane, what I sense too- and I really-- I really sense this from people is that they recognize that Mitt is competent and that he's compassionate at the same time. And they want someone to fix this. They want someone that's had the experience. They-- they-- they are begging, like, can you please go in there and straighten this out? And so that's what we're hearing when we're out there on the trail.

I think Brother and Sister Romney did a wonderful job and the media coverage the church is getting (especially even handed interviews like this) is going to do nothing but good for the church and furthering the restored Gospel. This type of interview shows that Mormons (even rich ones) ARE normal. They don't have horns and forked tounges or are robots in suits like so many people think.

Personally, Im looking forward to the future "longer interviews" with Mitt and Ann! People will start to see the real Mitt and the real Mormon faith in action.

Edited clips from the Interview can be seen here:

http://abcnews.go.co...sive-interview/

The whole episode:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/350997/abc-world-news-with-diane-sawyer-mon-apr-16-2012#s-p1-so-i0

Archived