mfbukowski Posted March 29, 2012 Posted March 29, 2012 I suppose that this depends on what you mean by "words" but my mind does not work like this. As I work on math problems I often have an intuitive picture of what is happening. When I try to put it in words, to tell others what I am thinking, it often takes multiple iterations before it even makes any sense to someone else. I can think faster and better without words, on some occasions.Yes, that is precisely the problem I think. We have direct experience and then we have the expression of it. It's like the old saw- try to explain the color red to a blind man using language- you can't
wenglund Posted March 29, 2012 Posted March 29, 2012 (edited) LOLActually I hated it. I was just learning to tie my shoes in kindergarten, and we took our shoes off for nap time. (This was in a school building which was over a hundred years old- on the East Coast) Suddenly, our class room was to be evacuated because there was some problem with the furnace in the building which they were afraid would cause a fire.I couldn't get my shoes on (in the winter) and I was sure I was going to die because I couldn't tie my shoes.Somehow I survived But it just shows how different circumstances are with different people and how memories can shape our lives. I still go crazy when I tie my shoes Learning to tie my shoes was excruciating for me. That is why when I finally learned to tie my shoes it was such a joy. I don't know if I would have been better off growing up with velcro and slip-ons because I may have not know the level of joy because of having not known the anguish (2 Ne). LOLBut, this is somewhat beside the point I was making--not that it matters.Thanks, -Wade Englund- Edited March 29, 2012 by wenglund
mfbukowski Posted March 29, 2012 Posted March 29, 2012 Learning to tie my shoes was excruciating for me. That is why when I finally learned to tie my shoes it was such a joy. I don't know if I would have been better off growing up with velcro and slip-ons because I may have not know the level of joy because of having not known the anguish (2 Ne). LOLBut, this is somewhat beside the point I was making--not that it matters.Thanks, -Wade Englund-Yah, this dang new generation has it too easy!!
LeSellers Posted March 29, 2012 Posted March 29, 2012 I suppose that this depends on what you mean by "words" but my mind does not work like this. As I work on math problems I often have an intuitive picture of what is happening. One of the most simple concepts in mathematics (not arithmetic), is "unity".I have seen two-hundred page books explaining what we mean by "one". Just because the idea is clear in our minds (i.e., we have the words to ideate it in our own minds) does not mean that we can clearly represent the resulting idea to others using words. One reason for this is that each of us has an "idiolect", a personal, unique language. It does not work well when conversing with others. there is a lot of overlap between the idiolect and the maternal tongue, but they are not identical.I'm a writer. Words are my bread'n'butter, but every job is a translation from my ideas to my written representation of the words in my mind.Lehi
thesometimesaint Posted March 29, 2012 Posted March 29, 2012 Words are so useful we tend to learn how to use them at about two years of age.
Recommended Posts