Wall Street Journal Article On City Creek Center (A.K.A..."The Mall")

Sky

Bucking Trend, Mormons Build Giant Mall

The oft-criticized new mall built by the LDS Church in downtown Salt Lake City will be opening on March 22 – right around the corner. So we will probably be hearing more about this in the near future.

I hope it proves successful over the long-term and that it accomplishes its objective. Next time I’m in Salt Lake, I will be sure to take a stroll through the new mall. It looks like it’s definitely come a long way since the days of the old ZCMI and Crossroads shopping centers.

I hope it is successful too. I also hope that what ever "security" will be at the mall has received extensive and intensive PR training. There will be those who will seek to make a public issue of the "rules" and how the security handles those situations will determine the public attention given.

Would a majority privately funded downtown restoration project be seen as anything but positive if the sponsors were anyone but the LDS church?

I wish I could go - this seems exciting.

From an investment standpoint it was the perfect time to do this. Since the Church operates on a cash basis getting construction labor and materials during a recession gives great price breaks.

This is really what Rocky Anderson should have done. So much for you Gateway project.

I am quite confident that this will be a tremendous success.

Bucking Trend, Mormons Build Giant Mall

The oft-criticized new mall built by the LDS Church in downtown Salt Lake City will be opening on March 22 – right around the corner. So we will probably be hearing more about this in the near future.

I hope it proves successful over the long-term and that it accomplishes its objective. Next time I’m in Salt Lake, I will be sure to take a stroll through the new mall. It looks like it’s definitely come a long way since the days of the old ZCMI and Crossroads shopping centers.

I wandered into the new Harmon's grocery store the other day, which is one portion of City Creek that is already open. It was huge! They have what looks to be a rather nice deli with a cafe level on a gallery overlooking the shopping area. I would like to have purchased something from the deli, but it was a bit beyond my budget for lunch, as are most downtown eateries.

From our Deseret News office building, we watched the demolition of the old ZCMI Center and Crossroads Mall and the early phases of City Creek construction. I was looking forward to a new place to spend a lunch hour. Then came our restructuring, and we moved west to the Triad Center. We can still to Main Street, where the new mall is, but it's about a four-block jaunt or train ride to get there.

Archived