thesometimesaint Posted November 3, 2011 Posted November 3, 2011 DaddyG:I was at one many years ago. Very beautiful and spiritual.
diglot Posted November 3, 2011 Author Posted November 3, 2011 (edited) diglot:We usually have GC around Easter time, I've been is some Wards where the Bishop gave a special talk during Sacrement Meeting on the meaning of Easter to the Saints.If you mean do we have a "Sunrise Service". No, but no one is stopped from attending one, or even just getting up early on a Sunday morning either. I've never attended a sunrise service myself. And honestly, I had never heard of them until someone mentioned them earlier in this thread. Edited November 3, 2011 by diglot
CV75 Posted November 3, 2011 Posted November 3, 2011 Anyway, just wondering if there are any special ways in which the LDS Church observes Easter, or how any individual Mormons have chosen to do so.No formal observation as a Church, other than often using it for the timing of a First Presidency Message testifying of the Resurrection and Church Magazine articles. Maybe the Tabernacle Choir will do an Easter-themed broadcast or include such songs on the weekly TV show (or it may be addressed on "Music and the Spoke Word"). Other than that, it may be referred to in General Conference and local unit talks when speaking on the Resurrection. Maybe some seasonal landscaping that includes some traditional Easter flora around temples and other buildings. Other than that, LDS members typically follow the Easter holiday traditions found within own culture (egg hunts, candy baskets, ham dinner, etc.).
thesometimesaint Posted November 3, 2011 Posted November 3, 2011 diglot:I usually try to be asleep myself, but I can recommend going at least once.
volgadon Posted November 3, 2011 Posted November 3, 2011 http://lds.org/ensign/2006/04/from-the-garden-to-the-empty-tomb?lang=engI used this on my mission for an Easter activity. Our branch building was the 2nd storey of a school, so there were various rooms and corridors. We used the pictures and selected extracts of the article for a jigsaw puzzle scattered throughout the various room. When brought together on the back we had Mark's account of the empty tomb.
KevinG Posted November 3, 2011 Posted November 3, 2011 As a trumpet player the big Christian holidays were always the best paying gigs. 7pm Methodist Christmas eve service, 9pm Lutheran service, 11pm Midnight Mass... I used to clean up as a kid. (no this is not a joke).
Recommended Posts