Responding To Jared Spurbeck

kolipoki09

A few weeks ago, blogger Jared Spurbeck, a vocal ex-Mormon and Church critic published an article on Yahoo! accusing the Church of being responsible for the deaths of some 35 LGBTQ people, as well as lambasting the Church for its stance relative to Proposition 8. Feeling compelled in a number of ways as both a believing, practicing Latter-day Saint, and as someone who cares deeply about LGBTQ issues (I have a gay brother), I chose to publish a response. This morning I was just notified of its publication.

An Open Letter to Jared Spurbeck

What a WONDERFUL letter!! I feel if more people, on both sides of the issue, were able to speak with that kind of courage and compassion, there would be a lot more peace between these groups!!

Silver Girl

:yahoo:

• 4 weeks later...

Jared Spurbeck's response to my article (as well as my linking to it here) has been posted.

An Open Letter to Tyler Anderson (sic)

Would you mind quoting Jared's response here, Kolipoki? (apparently, you have to sign up to access it).

Although we don't share the same views on the subject matter, I appreciate the thoughtful and conciliatory tone of your open letter to Jared. I think your approach is much more indicative of the way young Latter-day Saints are prone to approach the issue. "God Loveth His Children" is certainly a step forward in how the church responds to LGBT individuals and members, and a far cry (and much more compassionate one) from much of the discussion from previous decades (the tone and approach that is perceived by some LGBT Latter-day Saints). I, too, feel that relations are improving between the LDS church and LGBT individauls, and am grateful for that.

Best,

Daniel2

Would you mind quoting Jared's response here, Kolipoki? (apparently, you have to sign up to access it).

Although we don't share the same views on the subject matter, I appreciate the thoughtful and conciliatory tone of your open letter to Jared. I think your approach is much more indicative of the way young Latter-day Saints are prone to approach the issue. "God Loveth His Children" is certainly a step forward in how the church responds to LGBT individuals and members, and a far cry (and much more compassionate one) from much of the discussion from previous decades (the tone and approach that is perceived by some LGBT Latter-day Saints). I, too, feel that relations are improving between the LDS church and LGBT individauls, and am grateful for that.

Best,

Daniel2

Daniel-

I've just been informed that Jared has opted to remove/hide his response for personal reasons that won't be listed here. However, the basis of Spurbeck's reaction was that he felt I was "patronizing," "victim-blaming," and "abusive" because I felt a call for civility for both groups was paramount to progress. Jared believes I'm trying to smooth things over by somehow "letting Mormonism get away with it." Culturally, I think there is much more that Mormons can and should do.

Privately, Jared is a very polite, respectable person who has been deeply hurt by what he believes to be the Church's deliberate "life-destroying" teachings. Those of course, may be up for debate, but I have no personal animosity for Jared. Understandably, these issues strike chords in all of us for various reasons. He doesn't shy away from the fact that he feels compelled to "warn" others about what he believes is a corrupt, abusive system.

PM me if you have any other questions.

I've just been informed that Jared has opted to remove/hide his response for personal reasons that won't be listed here. However, the basis of Spurbeck's reaction was that he felt I was "patronizing," "victim-blaming," and "abusive" because I felt a call for civility for both groups was paramount to progress. Jared believes I'm trying to smooth things over by somehow "letting Mormonism get away with it." Culturally, I think there is much more that Mormons can and should do.

Good grief. How he could have felt your letter was any of those adjectives is ridiculous. And I say that as someone who lost the (LDS & gay) man I loved to suicide.

Privately, Jared is a very polite, respectable person who has been deeply hurt by what he believes to be the Church's deliberate "life-destroying" teachings. Those of course, may be up for debate, but I have no personal animosity for Jared. Understandably, these issues strike chords in all of us for various reasons. He doesn't shy away from the fact that he feels compelled to "warn" others about what he believes is a corrupt, abusive system.

I'm glad that you can see that it's Jared's own sense of self-woundedness that is speaking, and are able to take your compassionate stance towards his response in light of such. Kudos to you for displaying that level of maturity! I don't know him, but I sympathize with what he feels he's had to endure.

Daniel2

Archived