Mormons In Rugby: Answering The Call

Libs

Pretty amazing, what this young man is doing.

A decision made by a 19-year-old Mormon is making headlines in Australia these days.

Will Hopoate, a fullback for the Manly-Warrinagh Sea Eagles, recently announced his decision to leave professional rugby at the end of the season to serve a two-year mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In so doing, he is forsaking millions.

“At the end of the day it was all my decision. This is what I want to do,” Hopoate told the media in a press conference.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705372950/Mormons-in-rugby-Answering-the-call.html?pg=1

It is. And all of us down here are proud of him.

Rugby League is big in our part of the world -- Rugby Union is even bigger -- and people setting examples like this are noticed.

I expect he'll have the opportunity to pursue his sports career when he returns, if that's what he still wants to do.

Regards,

Pahoran

It is. And all of us down here are proud of him.

Rugby League is big in our part of the world -- Rugby Union is even bigger -- and people setting examples like this are noticed.

I expect he'll have the opportunity to pursue his sports career when he returns, if that's what he still wants to do.

Regards,

Pahoran

I wondered if that would be possible (that he would still have a chance to pursue this career). It's nice to know that may still be a possibility.

He certainly has shown strength of character and I think that's wonderful.

• 2 weeks later...

If rugby could bring the haka into the Church so we performed it in the parking lot either before or after the block, I think that would be a good thing. Would go well with the pot-luck we Mormons should institute after Fast Sunday services.

Archived