Seriously No Politics ×

D&C 132:27

inquiringmind

D&C 132:27 reads:

The ablasphemy against the Holy Ghost, which shall bnot be cforgiven in the world nor out of the world, is in that ye commit dmurder wherein ye shed innocent blood, and assent unto my death, after ye have received my new and everlasting covenant, saith the Lord God; and he that abideth not this law can in nowise enter into my glory, but shall be edamned, saith the Lord.

What does "after ye have received my new and everlasting covenant" mean?

Does it mean hearing about it, or reading about it here in D&C 132:27, or does it mean actually entering into a vow in a Temple ceremony?

Does this mean that if you've never been a Mormon, and never received any of the ordinances of the LDS Church, you don't have to worry about commiting this particular sin (or could you be in danger if you've even heard of "the new and everlasting covenant")?

I don't know which one of the two it means.

But I think, it is based on your degree of knowledge when you are 'outside' of this point - in other words, it is possible to be forgiven for murder if you didn't know it was this serious. I don't know about the fine lines behind it though... it's something to ask God on =0.

But if God is willing to forgive you, I think there'd be a possibility that you didn't know what you were doing if you did such a thing. Just in case someone who has done this is reading this.

I was under the impression that the shedding of innocent blood here, didn't necessarilly refer to literally killing a contemporary, but to somehow being guilty of Christ's blood by breaking (or rejecting) this covenant after you've "received" it.

My question is what "receiving it" means.

It is to reject the Holy Spirit of Promise, after having received ratification of the fulfillment of the covenants unto eternal life. In rejecting this gift, one withdraws his repentance and rejects the blessings of the Atonement, which in effect sheds innocent blood with attendant punishment (D&C 19: 4, 15-18) and assents to Christ

after having received ratification of the fulfillment of the covenants unto eternal life.

You mean after having formally entered into the covenants, and receiving some kind of pronouncement by a priesthood holder?

I'm not sure what would one cause to worry about committing this kind of sin as it requires a destructive level of self-confidence (pride) in the extreme

The sin, or worrying about it?

The ablasphemy against the Holy Ghost, which shall bnot be cforgiven in the world nor out of the world, is in that ye commit dmurder wherein ye shed innocent blood, and assent unto my death, after ye have received my new and everlasting covenant, saith the Lord God; and he that abideth not this law can in nowise enter into my glory, but shall be edamned, saith the Lord.

What does "after ye have received my new and everlasting covenant" mean?

Does it mean hearing about it, or reading about it here in D&C 132:27, or does it mean actually entering into a vow in a Temple ceremony?

Does this mean that if you've never been a Mormon, and never received any of the ordinances of the LDS Church, you don't have to worry about commiting this particular sin (or could you be in danger if you've even heard of "the new and everlasting covenant")?

I hope you realize that we are all posting our personal opinions, unless we cite an Official LDS source otherwise.

With that in mind, I do not believe in "well you heard it and rejected it therefore you are damned" I am fairly confident is saying that a non-LDS person need not worry about these verses.

I was under the impression that the shedding of innocent blood here, didn't necessarilly refer to literally killing a contemporary, but to somehow being guilty of Christ's blood by breaking (or rejecting) this covenant after you've "received" it.

My question is what "receiving it" means.

Sorry, I misread it XD. But yes, you are right... but most do not have this degree of knowledge capable of doing this. It means knowing Christ... personally, perhaps... and then breaking your vows to him, I think. Though not sure.

You mean after having formally entered into the covenants, and receiving some kind of pronouncement by a priesthood holder?

The sin, or worrying about it?

Yes, after receiving the Holy Spirit of Promise, which is a priesthood function.

The sin requires an ultimate, destructive level of pride that is not characteristic of one who tends to worry. But worrying is not a particularly good use of one's wherewithal, either, and undermines faith.

Archived