Seriously No Politics ×

Who are the sons of perdition?

inquiringmind

I know this may be hard for you to grasp, Zerinus, but everything I post isn't a response to YOU. This should be self-evident. Especially when I don't use the "reply" button and quote you within my posts. :P

I don't care whether you do or not, me lady. I reply to any post I like, whether it had been a direct reply to one of my posts or not. ;)

The quotes I posted were taken directly from the Institute Manual.

I don't care where they came from. I post what I consider to be right, and provide documentary evidence to support it.

If you have a problem with them, there is an address in the front of the manual to which you can send a letter outlining errors as you see them.

No need. I didn't get my ideas out of thin air either. I gave references. If you have a problem with them, you are welcome to write to the General Authorities if you want.

Yes, Judas and Cain would be the only known for sure SOPs, if I remember correctly.

Don't forget Laman and Lemuel, they saw angels of God and still rebelled, they knew for a fact that God existed, they saw his angels with there own eyes. They defiantly can fall into the SOP category, of course that is between them and HF!

• 1 month later...
No.

A son of perdition is an obscure, widely misunderstood, and often abused by critics, mormon theological concept postulated by Joseph Smith about those who reject Christ after having perfect knowledge of his divinity.

It is impossible for 'regular' people, even devout mormons, perhaps even a prophet, to become a Son of Perdition. It is debated if Judas Iscariot was even capable of being a Son of Perdition.

I'm brand new to studying Mormonism and am rather confused about your statement. I was wondering if you could enlighten me a bit. It seems according to scripture being a son of perdition is simply denying the Holy Ghost:

Alma 39:6 For behold, if ye deny the Holy Ghost when it once has had place in you, and ye know that ye deny it, behold, this is a sin which is unpardonable; yea, and whosoever murdereth against the light and knowledge of God, it is not easy for him to obtain forgiveness; yea, I say unto you, my son, that it is not easy for him to obtain a forgiveness.

Your description of the Sons of Perditions seems to correlate with what Joseph Smith said, but when I read scriptures it seems to give a totally different description. I'm really confused.

Don't forget Laman and Lemuel, they saw angels of God and still rebelled, they knew for a fact that God existed, they saw his angels with there own eyes. They defiantly can fall into the SOP category, of course that is between them and HF!

that is leap too far. We do not know what Laman and Lemuel may have known. Also, SOP isnt about seeing angles, it is much more than that. The same goes for Judas we do not know that he knew, nor do we know how he knew. It is unclear whether he was with the Apostles when Christ told Peter that the Spirit had revealed something to them.

------------

zerinus, it is ironic that you put forth statements that are not supported by the scriptures, doesn't that mean we can ignore the statements you put forth?

-----------

thewanderer, go with what Joseph Smith said. Also, if you are new to the Church, I would suggest you stay away from here. There are too many personal opinions presented as being truth from the Church. Solidify your testimony, then join a online group if you dare.

Archived