blackstrap Posted March 7, 2011 Posted March 7, 2011 From time to time we see the statement that " so-and-so" is/was a fallen prophet. I am trying to identify all those prophets in scripture that would be considered by most to have fallen/abandoned the calling. One jumps to mind but perhaps the talking donkey straightened him out. Can I get help in counting the fallen prophets from the time of Adam up to 100 AD ?
Palerider Posted March 7, 2011 Posted March 7, 2011 From time to time we see the statement that " so-and-so" is/was a fallen prophet. I am trying to identify all those prophets in scripture that would be considered by most to have fallen/abandoned the calling. One jumps to mind but perhaps the talking donkey straightened him out. Can I get help in counting the fallen prophets from the time of Adam up to 100 AD ?Eli may be considered one.I'm not sure if as High Priest he would have also been considered as having a prophetic calling. Possibly not. Have to go back and research that one....... 1Samuel 3:12-1412In that day I will perform aagainst Eli all things which I have spoken concerning his house: when I begin, I will also make an end. 13For I have told him that I will ajudge his house for ever for the iniquity which he knoweth; because his bsons made themselves vile, and he crestrained them not.14And therefore I have sworn unto the house of Eli, that the iniquity of Eli
LeSellers Posted March 7, 2011 Posted March 7, 2011 From time to time we see the statement that " so-and-so" is/was a fallen prophet. I am trying to identify all those prophets in scripture that would be considered by most to have fallen/abandoned the calling. One jumps to mind but perhaps the talking donkey straightened him out. Can I get help in counting the fallen prophets from the time of Adam up to 100 AD ?Balaam was, certainly a fallen prophet, but his a$s did not stop him. In fact, the angel of the Lord, sword drawn, didn't do it, either. Because, while Balaam spoke the word of the Lord, and Balack was infuriated by his refusal to go against what God had ordained he say. However, Balaam searched for and thought he'd found a way around the Lord's will. He just told Balak how to get Jehovah to abandon Israel: get them to apostatize from the Law of Moses. That is where Balaam fell. We do not know, either, how many or if any of Noah's priests were fallen prophets. We have a laundry list of prophets (e.g., Zedekiah the son of Chenaanah, 1 Kings 22:11) surrounding the kings' thrones who spoke in the name of the Lord (albeit only falsely in the Bible) whose words were lies. Had they ever been true prophets? We can't say. Was Jonah a "fallen prophet"? I believe so. Did he repent? I believe so. Did he fall again? I believe so. Did he repent again? I can't tell. Lehi
inquiringmind Posted March 11, 2011 Posted March 11, 2011 David was a fallen prophet.What does that mean exactly?Was he lost?Wasn't his sin forgiven? P.S. And what about Judas and Cain?Where exactly does scripture say that they're sons of perdition (and in what words does it say it)?
TAO Posted March 12, 2011 Posted March 12, 2011 What does that mean exactly?It means he lost his exaltation... D&C 132.P.S. And what about Judas and Cain?Where exactly does scripture say that they're sons of perdition (and in what words does it say it)?Judas, I don't know where, Cain, Book of Moses or Abraham somewhere.
Gohan Posted March 12, 2011 Posted March 12, 2011 P.S. And what about Judas and Cain?Where exactly does scripture say that they're sons of perdition (and in what words does it say it)?The only reference that I could find for Judas was from the intercessory prayer in John 17:11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.Its worth noting that in both Matthew and Mark the Savior says in regards to him that would betray him that:Matt 2624 The Son of man goeth as it is written of him: but woe unto that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! it had been good for that man if he had not been born. Mark 1421 The Son of man indeed goeth, as it is written of him: but woe to that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! good were it for that man if he had never been born.And in latter-day revelation, specifically Doctrine and Covenants 76, the Lord says in regard to this:31 Thus saith the Lord concerning all those who know my power, and have been made partakers thereof, and suffered themselves through the power of the devil to be overcome, and to deny the truth and defy my power
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.