Threat to Mairrage?

TAO

What have you found has been the best technique in responding to them?

I tried nice guy, and yet pointed out the things that were wrong, but I have a feeling it isn't going to do it's job.

Its my experience that you can't argue facts and reason with people who purport to put forth "rational" arguments which are merely a smokescreen to mask their underlying deep seeded bigotry.

Its my experience that you can't argue facts and reason with people who purport to put forth "rational" arguments which are merely a smokescreen to mask their underlying deep seeded bigotry.

I take it you're an expert on masking underlying deep seeded bigotry. I prefer to stick to what is not masked, like bad arguments. Whenever I start to "see" deep seeded bigotry, I find it wise to just forget about that and focus on the concrete, avoiding the issue of "projecting" my own character flaws onto other people.

Articles like these are getting more common.

I tried nice guy, and yet pointed out the things that were wrong, but I have a feeling it isn't going to do it's job.

I think your response to the article was appropriate and respectful , you handled yourself well.

It is important to remember that those who seek to slander and libel the Church do not care about the truth so simply presenting the correct information, bearing your testimony and leaving it at that is all we can do.

To get into arguments with Anti's is useless, it will only help them and weaken us. Any slips of tongue or angry remarks is only more ammunition for the anti's arsenal against the Church.

One must have faith that reasonable people will see through the depict used by the Anti-Mormons, especially the blatant falsehoods used in this article.

Unfortunately one cannot command a CFR for some of those claims so the best response remains to voice the true doctrine and it's consequences and not let these things drown out the conversation unanswered.

Some specific responses can come from the fact (for which there is plenty of evidence) that the homosexual lifestyle choice adds significant risks; lowered health, death, drug abuse, pedophilia, child abuse, divorce (where gay marriage is allowed), violence, etc.

Legally, the best argument imho is that there are no compelling reasons for the state to sanction anything less than the ideal relationship (heterosexual, even if single) for producing and raising the next generation. It is also unproductive and unecessary to second guess a person's motivation for marriage or whether or not they have children because at the very least, they are providing the proper male and female role model for marriage relationships by not marrying the same sex.

It's good to drag these things out into the light and discuss them in order to maintain grassroots support against them. That is what the Gospel requires as we recently learned in Sunday School. Ye are the light of the world..... Here is yet another item one needs to be aware of that our current administration is consorting with which I made reference to in another recent thread.

Archived