Nathair/|\ Posted February 2, 2011 Posted February 2, 2011 I have recently heard people say that tithing is the lesser form of the Law of Consecration, that when we live the LOC, we will no longer pay tithing. I had always thought the LOC was the full form of fast offerings, and that we would still pay tithing. The way I read Mal. 3:8, D&C 64:23, D&C 119:4 and other scriptures, tithing is to last as long as the Savior has a church on the earth. So who is correct? Yours under the confused oaks,Nathair /|\
Doctrine 612 Posted February 2, 2011 Posted February 2, 2011 Receiving a stewardshipAfter Church members consecrated their possessions, the bishop granted them stewardships, or portions, from all the properties received. The size of the stewardship depended on the circumstances and needs of the family, as determined by the bishop in consultation with the member who received it (D&C 42:32; 51:3). The stewardship was given with a deed of ownership so each member would be fully responsible and accountable for managing it (D&C 51:4; 72:3
Monster Posted February 3, 2011 Posted February 3, 2011 The LOC will most likely never come back until we decide as a people to live it. It is not a law that can be implemented by force or coercion. It must be totally voluntary. Hence we are left with the current concept of tithing.
jcake Posted February 5, 2011 Posted February 5, 2011 I believe that one of the reasons our current practice of tithing is a "lesser law" is because it requires a great deal of sacrifice for some to live, and next to no effort for others. I have known some very faithful members who give up things like family vacations, put off home repairs, can't afford braces for the kids, and go without many comforts so that they can pay tithing. Other faithful members don't alter their lifestyle in any significant way because they have enough income to pay tithing in addition to the trips, new cars, etc. Were we able to live a higher law, I believe that much of the discrepancy in our current practice would disappear.Just my 2 cents.
Deborah Posted February 5, 2011 Posted February 5, 2011 Were we able to live a higher law, I believe that much of the discrepancy in our current practice would disappear.Just my 2 cents.I have often thought this. In the days of my extreme poverty I even told the Bishop that under the full LOC I would be able to have my needs met whereas now I have to sacrifice a bill or a meal to pay tithing. Now I'm one of those who can afford to pay my tithing and do the things I need to do. BTW, the bishop ended up helping me with some of the necessities after he told me to pay my tithing.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.