BoM geography

Maya

I love the search of the BoM geography. I think it is highly interesting!

One thing I never seen or heard is if anyone has old maps from Americas? I mean that today geologysts can tell if ther was water over whole eastern USA so that all from Missisippi east was under water when Lehi landed :PHey ok that was just an example! ;)

Do anyone know if big parts of yacatan was actually under sea. Today if there rains a lot most of the peninsula from the new highway to the east is under water! That is why they ahve not found any settelements but on the east coast... could they have been islands?

Any (ar)geolocigal maps of Americas aroung Nefis time?

I just read this: http://www.bmaf.org/node/317

Very good points I think. I am for msoamerica and have not really got in to this heartland stuff, that is why I have a few questions:

A new heartland DVD seems to have proof, that there has been found old writting, that remainds the one that JS copyed from the plates. Is that so?

They claim big cities been found in Ohio, Illinois ect. What is big?

A day and half journey? is that possible that the seas were closer in those days? So for a good runner it would not take more than a day and a half to get from teh other sea to the other? I alwasy taken that literally. People in those days were used to walking long distances so they would walk a LOT longer than fex moi...

I really like the Cumorah 3 on www.mormonsites.org

Then the Hopwells.. there was people who left North with boats... could these be the Hopwells?

Your ideas sound very similar to those posed by Dr. Jerry Ainsworth in his book "The Life and Travels of Mormon and Moroni". He speaks of parts of the Yucatan that were covered during the BOM times. Dr. Ainsworth purposes the idea that the Highway 186 area or line midway through the Yucatan is in the vicinity of were there used to be a flooded area. Apparently this is still the issue when rain seasons hit there even today. Apparently ruins North of this Highway 186 only predate to about the date of 300AD. Thus the Northern section could have been some sort of an island until possible land changes after 3Nephi 11. I do find many of the findings of the Hopewell interesting and being part of the groups that sailed north could be a possible explination. As far as migrating tribes I would belive the current Hopi (who are groups of clans that have migrated to modern day Northern Arizona) to be a partial group of assembled Nephites and Lamanites and others. I personally think there are remenants of the People of Ammon among them just due to past history, traditions, rituals and of course the name Hopi means peaceful people. There is much more to it than just that though.

Maya

A new heartland DVD seems to have proof, that there has been found old writing, that reminds the one that JS copied from the plates. Is that so?

Hi Maya. If it is the Micmac language it has some similarities but all the experts Ive read has questioned if it can date back even 300 years let alone the Book of Mormon times. But if it can, I have heard of some interesting reasons why it might; One was that After the final battle (in Mesoamerica) Moroni had approximately almost 40 year to walk to New York (dedicating a few temple sites along the way). David Ingram a sailor shipwrecked in the early 17th century

(IIRC) walked from the Yucatan to Maine in eleven months. Anyway I have heard it was posited that Moroni taught a few natives the language (in this case Micmac)and it trickled down since that time. Mesoamerica has a writing system that date back to Book of Mormon times.

They claim big cities been found in Ohio, Illinois ect.
Not any has been found to accommodate for any populations for sizes that the Book of Mormon describe. Mesoamerica can do this.
So for a good runner it would not take more than a day and a half to get from the other sea to the other? I always taken that literally.
Depends, most heartland model followers are using the Great Lakes as the Seas but that is still questionable and the geography really doesn't match with a careful study of the Book of Mormon. Lawrence Poulsens has a site that gives some good maps and shows how Mesoamerica fits even better (see here).Also John Sorenson's wonderful book An Ancient Setting for the Book of Mormon give very good reasons to also consider Mesoamerica.
Then the Hopwells... could these be the Hopwells?
The Hopewell's could have had trade with some Mesoamerica but as far as evidence of these being the people in the Book of Mormon is very weak especially when compared to Mesoamerica. The Hopewelss were Hunter Gatherers who definitely did not have the large population numbers the BofM describes. AS far as the people sailing North (Hagoth) perhaps they could have been, I don't know I have also heard Hagoth or a group like his also sailed to the islands, Hawaiian, New Zealand etc. It is of course only speculation on our part because the BofM is silent other than they sailed North on one trip and another and then never returned...

Either way I agree geography of the Book of Mormon is to me fascinating to study.

Edited add; That if you were referring to other writings they have been proven to be fakes like the Bat Creek stone.

I love the search of the BoM geography. I think it is highly interesting!

Hi Maya,

Do not forget South America.

The Priddis model requires that the Amazon basin was underwater before the earth shattering events at the time of Christ. The bay of Guayaquil is the narrow neck of land. It is a cool theory, but has not convinced many people. You can consider this geography model here. Her book, the Book and the Map is cheap on amazon.com.

And there is the George Potter South American model. I have not got it in my head yet, but I am slowly reading his book when I get time. In it, the narrow neck of land does not border a sea East. You can read some of his BoM geography ideas at his Nephiproject.com library.

Richard

Thanks Quys... nosmelone... I know Dr. Ainsworth ;) reading the book And been on mormonsites.org often. I really like his theory. Actually i did get that land beeing under water from him, but I was thinking especially also there wher the narrow neck is supposed to be.

There has alos been talk abotu it that there is a lot of land that has sunk in the bottom of the Caribian ... Living so far from there and not beeing able to read Spanish I just wonder if that is true? Could the narrow neck be under water? just thinking?

Anjien, I also know Poulsen and his theory, that was actually the first one and made me interested in the geography of the BoM. I also think that the heartlands modell may have a good narrow neck with water on both sites, but there is not been found any big settlements in Canada. Besides I think that IF there had been cold like it gets around Chicago and the lakes adn in Canada, there had been something about it in the BoM. At least the wars had been going on only in summers... adn weher would have been the desert where they got lost? Does thsi desert in the BoM mean a sand desert or just a wild forest or such?

erichard.. yes I did forget the South America modell... mostly because it looks so unreal to me, as it does sound that the east and west seas are a lot closer than what they are in the South America. I need to study taht a bit more to be able to say something thanks fro the links.

When I was new to the Church I thougth that the Lehities stranded ont the eastern site of America ... somewhere. Is that impossible? Why?

I also thought that they lived in ALL of America and that Panama was the narrow neck of land... :P

Live and learn. Anyway I really enjoy this chalense of finding the BoM lands. I do like to think it was in Central America, but if it was not I just say : shoot, I was wrong, and smile.

... Living so far from there and not beeing able to read Spanish I just wonder if that is true? Could the narrow neck be under water? just thinking?

I also think that the heartlands modell may ahve a good narrow neck with water on both sites, but there is nto bene found any big settlements in Canada. adn weher would have been the desert where they got lost? Does thsi desert in the BoM mean a sand desert or just a wild forest or such?

Majia

Yes there are sunken ruins along the Caribian coast in Belize.

Here is a list of most of the proposed theories on BofM geography with brief descriptions and links to further information.

http://en.fairmormon.org/Book_of_Mormon_geography/All_models_table

The word desert does not occur as a geograpic feature in the BofM except in the quotation from Isaiah. The word used in the English BofM is wilderness. It is defined in the 1828 Webster as follows.

WILDERNESS, n. [from wild.]

1. A desert; a tract of land or region uncultivated and uninhabited by human beings, whether a forest or a wide barren plain. In the United States, it is applied only to a forest. In Scripture, it is applied frequently to the deserts of Arabia. The Israelites wandered int he wilderness forty years.

2. The ocean.

The watry wilderness yields no supply.

3. A state of disorder. [Not in use.]

4. A wood in a garden, resembling a forest.

As you can see the English word generally refers to forrest land and not to deserts of sand.

Larry P

Poulsen is right here. There are several sunken ruins throughout Central America...there were a few of them in my mission as well...

And the area floods pretty easily...in fact Tabasco and southern Veracruz are getting flooded pretty severely right now, and Ainsworth's 186 starts in Tabasco and then runs up the Eastern Yucatan...

Yes that is good... you know the little boy drawn at the back looks just like my daughter when she was small... qute...

Thanks MA ....

Thanks LP ... I read a lot Mormon wiki... but there are soooo many pages... and I am trying to translate them in to Finnish ... and they keep just writting more and more... :P

Like in Finland the earth is rising all the time and long time ago there was only islands there.... With all those earthquakes and stroms... they say in BoM that the face of the earth had changed... would be interesting to know how the centralAmerica looked like 2000 years ago.

Like in Finland the earth is rising all the time and long time ago there was only islands there.... With all those earthquakes and stroms... they say in BoM that the face of the earth had changed... would be interesting to know how the centralAmerica looked like 2000 years ago.

Based on the geological record and the dating of numerous ruins, it probably looked much like it looks today with minor changes due to violcanic activity and earthquakes. We know that there were numerous earthquakes and a strong outbreak of volcanic activity sometime near the time of the Savior. As the BofM says, cities were buried and new mountins arose. One as recent as 1943 in Paracutin, Mexico. It started in a cornfield and is now a mountain of significant height.

http://volcano.oregonstate.edu/vwdocs/volc_images/img_paricutin.html

However Mormon still knew where everything was when he abridged the records and even described a number of cities that were rebuilt including Zarahemla.

Larry P

Archived