John Larsen Posted April 16, 2009 Posted April 16, 2009 I do recall responding to all your points in that post, but if you would prefer to limit your response only to that one statement I will go ahead and consider this discussion over. My arrogance, however well attested through the years on this board, does not invalidate the remaining statements made in my post, and they remain unanswered.I have reread your posts and mine, and I think that I found the confusion point. When I said, Christianity is the result of the merging of Greek and Jewish philosophy, what I meant was modern or at least post-Augustine Christianity. Of course, the origins of Christianity were separate from Greek thought and the Greek influence came later. I hope that clears it up.
maklelan Posted April 16, 2009 Posted April 16, 2009 I have reread your posts and mine, and I think that I found the confusion point. When I said, Christianity is the result of the merging of Greek and Jewish philosophy, what I meant was modern or at least post-Augustine Christianity. Of course, the origins of Christianity were separate from Greek thought and the Greek influence came later. I hope that clears it up.I already addressed this here, but I will restate it. I believe this is equivocation on your part. Your original statement was that Christianity is the result of the merging of Greek and Jewish philosophies, not that they later influenced Christianity. They couldn't have, since Greek ideologies influenced Christianity directly from Greek literature and culture. Jewish philosophies played no role whatsoever in the Christian appropriation of Greek philosophies. Whether you referred to Christian origins or later Christian evolution, your statement is incorrect, but it seems to me you originally intended to refer to Christian origins, which is why you brought it up in a discussion of where ideologies come from. A statement about the later influence of Greek philosophies on Christianity is totally irrelevant in that context. Here it is again for the cheap seats:Is there any religion, ancient or modern, that doesn't provide some sort of "supportive evidence" for Mormonism? I mean, these are pretty common themes: life after death, reuniting with loved ones, reward-riches-progressing in the afterlife. It is not like Mormonism invented these ideas. Besides that, we know that the Greeks borrowed ideas from the Egyptians, as did the Hebrews, and Christianity was basically a merging of Greek and Jewish philosophy.If, however, you insist that was your original meaning, I will concede.
mfbukowski Posted April 16, 2009 Posted April 16, 2009 Jungian archetypes!SHHHHHHHHH! You were supposed to say "They were revealed to Adam and passed through the ages"! The reality is, both truths express the same reality in different language for different purposes.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.