Another Hebrew Bullseye

Sethbag

From the "Lying Pen of the Scribes" thread Maklelan said something I'll post a little tidbit of.

The word c'marim (from which is derived the Hebrew word for "false priesthood": c'morah)

[emphasis added]

What do you guys think of the "bullseye" of Joseph Smith claiming to see an angel and to receive the Golden Plates upon a hill named after the Hebrew word for "false priesthood"? Is that a bullseye or not?

How could he have known?

From the "Lying Pen of the Scribes" thread Maklelan said something I'll post a little tidbit of.

What do you guys think of the "bullseye" of Joseph Smith claiming to see an angel and to receive the Golden Plates upon a hill named after the Hebrew word for "false priesthood"? Is that a bullseye or not?

How could he have known?

:P

You are too much!!

How could he have known?

He couldn't have. It's either a coincidence or an important piece of evidence. Each person will decide for themselves which it is.

By the way, the hill is called Cumorah by other early brethren, but not by Joseph Smith.

How could he have known?

I think you make a good point. When looking at the etymology of names in the BoM, it is important not to fall into the trap of "sound alike therefore they are the same".

I prefer looking at words that not only sound alike, BUT are used in a way that shows that the writers knew what the words meant in hebrew or egyptian.

"sound alike" has its place for if the BoM is what it claims to be then they should be there, but they in and of themselves dont constitute bull's eyes.

Egyptian and Hebrew Names: Going beyond homophonic "sound alike" and into possible knowledge of meanings

Nephi *

http://maxwellinstitute.byu.edu/pdf.php?fi...p;type=amJtcw==

Poetic use of Nephi

http://farms.byu.edu/display.php?table=insights&id=369

http://farms.byu.edu/display.php?table=insights&id=459

Jershon

Alma27:22 "And it came to pass that the voice of the people came, saying: Behold, we will give up the land of Jershon , which is on the east by the sea, which joins the land Bountiful, which is on the south of the land Bountiful; and this land Jershon is the land which we will give unto our brethren for an inheritance."

Jershon is the toponym for a land given by the Nephites to a group of Lamanites as an inheritance; based on the usual correspondence in the King James Version of j for the Hebrew phoneme /y/, Book of Mormon Jershon could correspond to the Hebrew root yrs meaning "to inherit," thus providing an appropriate play on words in Alma 27:22: "and this land Jershon is the land which we will give unto our brethren for an inheritance." The â??on suffix denots place name.

http://maxwellinstitute.byu.edu/pdf.php?fi...p;type=amJtcw==

Ziff

Mosiah 11:3,8

3) "And he laid a tax of one fifth part of all they possessed, a fifth part of their gold and of their silver , and a fifth part of their ziff and of their copper , and of their brass and their iron ; and a fifth part of their fatlings; and also a fifth part of all their grain. :P And it came to pass that king Noah built many elegant and spacious buildings; and he ornamented them with fine work of wood, and of all manner of precious things, of gold, and of silver, and of iron, and of brass, and of ziff, and of copper..."

Some have likened ziff with the Hebrew z

Archived