1 Corinthians 15 : 49-54

captain-jack

I'm curious to know about something. In Sunday School, the teacher skimmed past this but having the mind of coming here with some questions I thought it'd be good to hear from the rest of the crew.

49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.

50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all asleep, but we shall all be changed,

52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the cead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

From what I get, that simply speaks of our bodies and spirits being rejoined and us being resurrected? Can someone explain to me if this is what these passages speak of?

And any non-LDS perspective would be much appreciated as well.

I'm curious to know about something. In Sunday School, the teacher skimmed past this but having the mind of coming here with some questions I thought it'd be good to hear from the rest of the crew.

From what I get, that simply speaks of our bodies and spirits being rejoined and us being resurrected? Can someone explain to me if this is what these passages speak of?

From what I can tell this is speaking of the resurrection of the dead and also I think it is refering to being "changed in a twinkling of an eye" during the millenium of those without of tasting of death. I get this from verse 51 when it says "we shall not all sleep", meaning the sleep of death. It could also in addition be speaking of those translated beings that also shall be changed to immortality when their missions are completed or at the time of the Second Coming. In any event during the thousand years of the Lord's reign death as we know it will not exist, but at the proper time those who are mortal during that time will be automatically changed into the resurrected state.

The resurrection was covered in lesson at the Ward my son in law goes to in Ohio yesterday. I was curious at the LDS take on the matters and some other items of faith I found to be peculiar. I've only been taught what the Bible says, and the passage you quoted pretty much means what it says. In the resurrection Jesus said we will be as the angels. Angels can be visible or invisible to the human eye and are far more powerful than that which is merely of the dust of the earth. At the resurrection we take on their form. We are changed. One apostle said it would be done in the twinkling of an eye, not a progressive matter. Yet even the Lord Jesus ate with His disciples before returning to heaven. The angels and God ate with Abraham. As such they are above us in not only being eternal, but being able to be invisible and physical - a step above our reality of now.

Having just read the first reply, the verse mentioned is about those who are dead at the Lord's return VS those who are alive at His return. Those who are dead rise first, then those who are alive are 'transformed' in the blink of an eye to the same form as those who have been resurrected.

I'd suggest you read what the Bible says about the resurrection and just stick with that for the truth of the matter.

The resurrection was covered in lesson at the Ward my son in law goes to in Ohio yesterday. I was curious at the LDS take on the matters and some other items of faith I found to be peculiar. I've only been taught what the Bible says, and the passage you quoted pretty much means what it says. In the resurrection Jesus said we will be as the angels. Angels can be visible or invisible to the human eye and are far more powerful than that which is merely of the dust of the earth. At the resurrection we take on their form. We are changed. One apostle said it would be done in the twinkling of an eye, not a progressive matter. Yet even the Lord Jesus ate with His disciples before returning to heaven. The angels and God ate with Abraham. As such they are above us in not only being eternal, but being able to be invisible and physical - a step above our reality of now.

Having just read the first reply, the verse mentioned is about those who are dead at the Lord's return VS those who are alive at His return. Those who are dead rise first, then those who are alive are 'transformed' in the blink of an eye to the same form as those who have been resurrected.

I'd suggest you read what the Bible says about the resurrection and just stick with that for the truth of the matter.

I suggest instead of adorning the whited seplechurs you check out the Living water.

In the resurrection Jesus said we will be as the angels. Angels can be visible or invisible to the human eye and are far more powerful than that which is merely of the dust of the earth. At the resurrection we take on their form. We are changed. One apostle said it would be done in the twinkling of an eye, not a progressive matter. Yet even the Lord Jesus ate with His disciples before returning to heaven. The angels and God ate with Abraham. As such they are above us in not only being eternal, but being able to be invisible and physical - a step above our reality of now.

I believe that is essentially what I said, however you mentioned the angels that ate with Abraham. I suppose they were translated beings because there were no beings that were resurrected before Christ (unless you are refering to His Father) so if these angels had bodies of flesh and bone then they must have been translated. In the resurrection our immortal spirits shall be reunited with our perfected bodies of flesh and bone where they will be permanatelly joined together. This is infered in the following:
(Luke 24:36-43) "And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.

But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit.

And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?

Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet.

And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

And he took it, and did eat before them."

From this we can conclude that the resurrection is very real and that resurrected beings are not just ghostly phatoms. They do have powers above what our mortal flesh has but they are just as tangable as our current bodies. The Book of Mormon gives us even more light and knowledge on the nature of the resurrection:
(Alma 11:42-45) "Now, there is a death which is called a temporal death; and the death of Christ shall loose the bands of this temporal death, that all shall be raised from this temporal death.

The spirit and the body shall be reunited again in its perfect form; both limb and joint shall be restored to its proper frame, even as we now are at this time; and we shall be brought to stand before God, knowing even as we know now, and have a bright recollection of all our guilt.

Now, this restoration shall come to all, both old and young, both bond and free, both male and female, both the wicked and the righteous; and even there shall not so much as a hair of their heads be lost; but every thing shall be restored to its perfect frame, as it is now, or in the body, and shall be brought and be arraigned before the bar of Christ the Son, and God the Father, and the Holy Spirit, which is one Eternal God, to be judged according to their works, whether they be good or whether they be evil.

Now, behold, I have spoken unto you concerning the death of the mortal body, and also concerning the resurrection of the mortal body. I say unto you that this mortal body is raised to an immortal body, that is from death, even from the first death unto life, that they can die no more; their spirits uniting with their bodies, never to be divided; thus the whole becoming spiritual and immortal, that they can no more see corruption."

Since I am not bound by the covers of a book and believe in all that God has revealed and all that He may yet reveal I can learn from Him a little more then what is found in the Bible.

I think the focus in that passage concerns our victory over death more than anything else.

Think of what it will mean to never have anything that can cause us to die, physically.

... and what it will mean to "bear the image of the heavenly"

I think the focus in that passage concerns our victory over death more than anything else.

Think of what it will mean to never have anything that can cause us to die, physically.

... and what it will mean to "bear the image of the heavenly"

But wouldn't a victory possibly include a resurrection? Living forever would be the ultimate victory over death.

From what I can tell this is speaking of the resurrection of the dead and also I think it is refering to being "changed in a twinkling of an eye" during the millenium of those without of tasting of death. I get this from verse 51 when it says "we shall not all sleep", meaning the sleep of death. It could also in addition be speaking of those translated beings that also shall be changed to immortality when their missions are completed or at the time of the Second Coming. In any event during the thousand years of the Lord's reign death as we know it will not exist, but at the proper time those who are mortal during that time will be automatically changed into the resurrected state.

I agree w/lightbearer.

:P

But wouldn't a victory possibly include a resurrection? Living forever would be the ultimate victory over death.

Yes, a victory over death for someone who has died would necessarily include some way to be restored to the same state that person was in before death.

... and not only that... speaking of restoration to the state before death... but it would also necessarily include being placed in a state where death would no longer have any power over that person, EVER.

The way our bodies are composed now they are subject to corruption... so being restored to the same state wouldn't do it.

We will still need to undergo some kind of change to our bodies so that our bodies can NEVER be corrupted if we are to ever have power over the power of death.

... and that's what that passage of scripture was referring to, riker.

We will need to be changed from corruptible to incorruptible, and we will then be in the form of the heavenly.

Archived