Seriously No Politics ×

Facsimile 3

David Bokovoy

For some reason, none of the editions of the scriptures I can find show Smith saying this at all.  Even the picture of the Facsimile on the official LDS site does not say this.  Could you please point me to the edition where Smith actually says that Abraham is becoming either a king or a god?  Or is this merely your personal interpretation?

Given Joseph Smith's known interest in acquiring both kingship and godhood, I would say it doesn't require much imagination to see the possibility that Joseph was thinking about these issues in his interpretation of the facsimile. It doesn't even require advanced training in Egyptology.

Hey,

I haven't been following the thread closely, so I don't know if this has been mentioned, but Olimlah's identity as a desnouted Anubis is quite clear when one notices that, comically, the Facsimile artist left a pointy jackal ear sticking out the top of his head. Believe it or not, black people really don't have horns like this.

Don

I've always enjoyed this from Brother Hugh back in 1976

The oldest Abraham legend describes a great king who aspires to rule the world. Abraham insists that it is God who really rules the universe; for this irreverence to authority the hero is made to serve as a sacrificial victim. But on the altar Abraham prays and God sends an angel to deliver him; the altar is overthrown (by an earthquake in some versions) and the officiating priest perishes. The king is now convinced and reverences the patriarch. Which takes us to Facsimile 3.

Q: How?

Facsimile No. 3

A: Countless studies of the substitute king have noted that the business of the substitute was to sit on the king

Archived