Seriously No Politics ×

Book of Abraham / Horus

7 hours ago, Alaris said:

How do you validate any dating beyond the written record? There's nothing against which to verify accuracy.

Contemporary records are very rare, later records cannot easily be verified, but there is a full range of dating techniques used by scientists in order to date everything from the age of the universe to how long a body has been in a place since being murdered.  A very good discussion of the various techniques is available at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronological_dating .

15 hours ago, CA Steve said:

Maybe we need to back up a bit more.

How do you think the record we have today known as the Pentateuch came to exist in the form we have today?

Again, I don't want to veer too deeply about dating as it really is getting off-topic. If you have a testimony of Joseph Smith as I do, then you likely agree with me that Egyptus' son was:

1. Righteous

2. The great-grandson of Noah (therefore post-flood)

3. The first Pharoah of Egypt

Therefore, the idea that eternal truths may be reflected in Egyptian mythology is not only plausible but probable given the many evidences of this - Bruce Porter's presentation on the Book of Abraham is a fantastic example of this:

Adamic may have influenced Egyptian words or persisted in an altered form beyond the tower of Babel - or Amun / Ahman is just yet another "coincidence."

1 hour ago, Alaris said:

Again, I don't want to veer too deeply about dating as it really is getting off-topic.

If you cannot date when scriptural figures like Abraham, Noah, Egyptus, and others may have lived how is it possible to consider the reliability of evidence, outside the scriptures, as supporting their existence?

1 hour ago, Alaris said:

If you have a testimony of Joseph Smith as I do, then you likely agree with me that Egyptus' son was:

Is it necessary to have a literal belief in Egyptus and her son to hold a testimony of Joseph Smith?

1 hour ago, CA Steve said:

If you cannot date when scriptural figures like Abraham, Noah, Egyptus, and others may have lived how is it possible to consider the reliability of evidence, outside the scriptures, as supporting their existence?

Is it necessary to have a literal belief in Egyptus and her son to hold a testimony of Joseph Smith?

This is exactly what I mean and where I was certain you were going asking these leading questions. You've asked me how I can rely on evidence outside the scriptures without dating. Easy. I don't rely on physical evidence as a foundation of my testimony. Do you? 

The evidences are the many many coincidences within Egyptian mythology and within the facsimiles themselves. To the believer these are supporting witnesses. To the one who bases their beliefs in physical evidence, they still have plenty of conflicting data to make them feel nice and less insecure in their disbelief. 

And this is the way God intended. Ether 12:27

Ether 12:6 And now, I, Moroni, would speak somewhat concerning these things; I would show unto the world that faith is things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith

As for your Egyptus question, yes. Yes it is. If Joseph Smiths revelation on the book of Abraham was... What exactly? Mis-revealed?  What else can we toss out of the Book of Abraham by the same or similar justification used to disregard the Egyptus account? 

The Book of Abraham is deep, rich, and beautiful. However the facsimiles align to the statement of them being original works of Abraham, what's crystal clear to me is the scriptures produced are true. Many layers have been confirmed to me by the method laid out in Ether 12:6. Layers upon layers confirming the foundation which reinforces my testimony of Joseph Smith. The article I've written shows how both the mythology and the facsimiles reinforce my understanding of who the one like unto the son of man is in Abraham 3. None of this is founded in physical evidence but reinforces my many spiritual witnesses. Even if I personally descended into disbelief, there have been way too many coincidences for me to disregard. 

Edited by Alaris