Seriously No Politics ×

Legalization of Polygamy

Krisjhn

Hi Krisjhn... :P

Sorry to get your thread off track... :unsure:

Also, I didn't mean to suggest you felt that way... I understand you don't and respect your understanding of how women may be affected. My last statement was just a general comment not directed at you. Sorry it wasn't clear!

Anyway... I apologize for getting sidetracked!

<_<

~dancer~

LEEUNIVERSE, your statement:

Funny how people look at things (either a negative or positive approach).... Because for me I see plural marriage actually solving this problem.

There are simply so many "deadbeat" dads and husbands in the world, that whole generations of wives and children suffer because of it, and thereby society suffer's because of it. Plural Marriage is able to help solve this problem by giving a wife and her children a righteous husband and father to care for them.

Now as to time, if family is the key point of plural marriage, then there would be plenty of family and individual time. Remember, it's not just having a father which spends time with a child that is important, it is having a father and a husband that establishes order, discipline, and teaching in the home, so that the children might have all their needs met. A child gains more from the example of a righteous father and just small moments of bonding time than they gain from a mediocre father or no father at all spending lot's of time.

Quality is what's important, not usually quantity.....

Questions: Are there not "dead-beat-dads" in the LDS Church? How thinnly stretched can a "righteous husband and father" be, before he becomes less-so? "As to time"...maybe we approach your supposition using different math/logic? ie 1 dad 1 child = 100% of time (simplistically) to child. 1 dad 10 children = 10% of time per child...Please explain.

How about, "having a father and a husband" that helps create a home environment wherein children can build self-confidence, become good decsion-makers, are responsive to others needs, are encouaged to be the idividual God intended them to be, "to have ALL THEIR needs met"? Not their parents needs met? AND, Mom has equal veto rights?

LEE, 'quality time vs quantity time', i resectfully suggest is a premise too often used to justify more absentee dad-time than to accomodate spontaneous child-time. All time should be quality-time.

I think polygamy might create more problems than it would solve, IMSCO. Mee thinks you could learn some good-stuff from Truth Dancer. Don't be so quick to discount it. :P

I just want to make a couple of comments. If the Lord wants to bring it back he will. I can't find it right now, but I believe there was a prophecy about the last days that woman would seek out a man to be married ...?

I just asked my wife if she would mind going into polygamy. She answered with a question. Would you like to marry some pretty, young thing and start a whole new family? Since our youngest, the seventh, just graduated and I was saying I now am a consultant to my kids. My wife said you would be raising another family and she would be the consultant, and laughed.

Would I go into polygamy, now. Oh no!!!!

Kadahow

Ick, polygamy. But I'm going to skip the social, moral and emtional arguments and talk about some of the policies and politics.

One thing that would have to change if polygamy were re-legalized is inheritance laws. If there are multiple families, the death of the husband/father/patriarch is going to spread his legacy pretty thin. Would division of property take place equally between wives? Or would it be based on family size? Polygamy would keep estate planning lawyers busy forever!

There would also be issues if one of the wives died - would custody of her children automatically transfer to a sister-wife? What about any property she owned with her husband? Would her children have an interest in the property after her death, or it would revert completely to the husband, who could then bestow it on anyone?

Divorce laws regarding alimony and child support would need to be extremely flexible. Rather than looking at what the woman and her children need, the judges would have to look at what the ex-husband was doing to support his other wives and children, and fashion something similar for the new ex-wife. Otherwise, it would be economically beneficial to divorce a husband and get a set amount of of support money, while the wives who stayed married got only what the husband could provide, which might not be much!

Given how expensive it is nowadays to raise kids, welfare would need a boost to help finance such huge families. I would point out that in 19th C America, kids were an economic asset because they could help on the farm. Today, kids don't do much to contribute economically to a family unit. So the economics of polygamy would strain salaries to the breaking point.

Also, the purpose of polygamy in Jacob 2, is to raise up seed unto the Lord. The Church would need to revisit its stance on birth control, if polygamy were reinstated in order to raise more kids. What's the point of polygamy if each wife only wants one or two kids? You could get as many kids from a monogamous relationship where the wife wanted six kids.

Anyway, those are some non-emotional factors that would need to be considered if polygamy came back.

And I really hope it doesn't.

Also, the purpose of polygamy in Jacob 2, is to raise up seed unto the Lord. The Church would need to revisit its stance on birth control, if polygamy were reinstated in order to raise more kids. What's the point of polygamy if each wife only wants one or two kids? You could get as many kids from a monogamous relationship where the wife wanted six kids.

Small point: This assumes that the above cited scripture refers to quantity only, a point that has been hotly debated, on this board at least.

C.I.

Hello Janey,

Also, the purpose of polygamy in Jacob 2, is to raise up seed unto the Lord.  The Church would need to revisit its stance on birth control, if polygamy were reinstated in order to raise more kids.  What's the point of polygamy if each wife only wants one or two kids?  You could get as many kids from a monogamous relationship where the wife wanted six kids.

I do not believe that Jacob 2:30 is referring to raising up seed through Polygamy, but I believe that Jacob 2:30 is referring to raising up seed though Monogamy.

http://www.fairboards.org/index.php?showtopic=8154&hl=

Joseph Smith had at least 28 plural wives, and he just only had about three or four children through all of at least 28 of his plural wives. In the Utah territory in the 19th Century Monogamous women ended up having more children on average than Polygamous women did. IMO, Monogamy is a lot better way of raising up seed unto the Lord God.

I do believe that Polygamy has already been de-criminized since the Supreme Court ruling of Lawrence vs. Texas. AS for the LDS Church allowing its members to practice Polygamy if Polygamy becomes fully legalizing, I do Not believe that the Church will still not allow its members to enter into that practice.

I also do Not believe that the Lord ever commanded Joseph Smith to enter into Polygamy in the first place. I also do Not believe that the Lord commanded Brigham Young to enter into Polygamy. I believe that the Lord God intended for JS and BY To just practice Monogamy. IMO, Monogamy is the higher and true order of Marriage. The Lord God intends His people to enter into Monogamy. NOT Polygamy.

Hi Truth dancer,

You are doing a Pretty Great job here on this thread.

The church claims Polygamy to be instituted after the command of God.

This being so it can not be immoral in the eyes of the church.

It is not being practiced becuase to the condition of the GOVT and the LAW. (that is the way it was said to the saints)

Should it be made legal the church can not make a distingiushing mark between polygamy and monogamous marriage - if it does it runs the risk of making polygamy an immorality.

If it claims it is moral and legal but not appropriate because of social pressure then there are two problems 1) gods law and right is higher than societys and should not be dictated by the whim of the world and 2) around 75% of the worlds societys live and accpet polygamy.

If it becomes legal the church can not deny the baptism of those practicing polygamy as it is both moral and with in the grounds of the law - even if western society revolts at the idea.

If the church says no we are basically claiming it is immoral and this was never ordained of god as he can not command immorality...

a very fascinating quagmire we will have in a few years.

Me i don't want a second wife.

Compare and contrast:

Should homosexuality be made legal the church will not accpet practicing homosexuals as we believe the behavior is immoral.

Should polygamy be made legal we have no moral question about the actions. They are performing a moral and legal act.

The church is committed to polygamys morallity.

However you can get around it with this:

Should we prove that all early church polygamious marriages were only allowed through divine commandment then the church could simply not command any one to take a second wife - thus the problem would be solved - however this historical precident is shaky and does not address the concern of already polygamios marriages and cultures where it is 100% acceptable. Also we do not have to ask for divine command for our first wives, should we chose to marry.

Archived