Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Byu Commentary And Translation Of The New Testament


Recommended Posts

Posted

A BYU Translated version of the New Testament with Commentary was announced way back in 2006.

As I recall, the overall effort was something like 15 volumes and was going to take something like 10 years but that books would be released bit by bit. By my calculation we are about 65% of the way through the schedule. I have heard that some of it has been completed and is "ready" for publication. I understand Dr. John Hall became ill but that the part of the work he was responsible for was completed. But no books?

Some of you may possibly have connections with BYU -- maybe to Dr Draper.

Does anyone have news about this? Will it ever see the light of day?

Posted (edited)

Last I'd heard, if I remember correctly, Hall's work on the Johannine material was significantly problematic, the project team required major revision to be done for his work, and he was not up to it, and that some of the issues involved led to the project being indefinitely put on hold.

Edited by David T
Posted

Last I'd heard, if I remember correctly, Hall's work on the Johannine material was significantly problematic, the project team required major revision to be done for his work, and he was not up to it, and that some of the issues involved led to the project being indefinitely put on hold.

That is interesting. I really like Dr. Hall, but I found some of his translations to be a bit peculiar.

Posted

How did Dr. Hall, or this Johannine material, render the section in John 3 where Jesus refers to Himself as the Son of "man which is in heaven?" The only text that has this striking phrase is the KJV, but I've always wondered about "the actual Greek."

Anybody know?

Posted

The only text that has this striking phrase is the KJV

You keep repeating this but it is not true. The following versions also contain this phrase or something similar:

  • American King James Version
  • American Standard Version
  • Aramaic Bible in Plain English
  • Darby Bible Translation
  • Douay-Rheims Bible
  • English Revised Version
  • International Standard Version
  • King James 2000 Bible
  • New English Bible
  • Webster's Bible Translation
  • Weymouth New Testament
  • World English Bible
  • Young's Literal Translation

As for the Greek, take a look here.

http://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm?b=Jhn&c=3&v=13&t=KJV#conc/13

Posted

That phrase isn't in the oldest manuscripts that contain the Gospel of John.

But interestingly enough it is attested to in other documents as old as those manuscripts.

Posted (edited)

A BYU Translated version of the New Testament with Commentary was announced way back in 2006.

As I recall, the overall effort was something like 15 volumes and was going to take something like 10 years but that books would be released bit by bit. By my calculation we are about 65% of the way through the schedule. I have heard that some of it has been completed and is "ready" for publication. I understand Dr. John Hall became ill but that the part of the work he was responsible for was completed. But no books?

Some of you may possibly have connections with BYU -- maybe to Dr Draper.

Does anyone have news about this? Will it ever see the light of day?

When I worked as a translator for a large industrial company, it was expected that my translations conveyed the core materials to understand the text for purpose and usefulness. As little of "me" as possible was to be in the text. My ideas or concepts were exprected to not be identifiable in the text.

That is not particularly difficult when translating assembly diagrams and instructions.

It was another matter, entirely, when translating communication from the CEO or other administration. Then the tone of the text was to reflect the tone and undertone as given by leadership. Tone from me was absolutely forbidden. I had to check sometimes with a whole list of underlings to get the OK on certain passages of text when a conflict arose in conveying the true meaning of the text.

But when translating memos and short passages sent from some department heads to their counterparts, I was given considerable leaway to make the tone fit a more jovial, comrad-like communication. Standard phrases that are normally left out in Swedish communication (Swedish business letters are curt, no nonsense, short and to the point) were added by me for Portugese and Spanish communication, because to leave them out was considered rude.

What will a "Mormon" translation look like? Will it be as accurate as possible, or will it try to give a "Mormon" flavor and tone to the scriptures? Will questionable passages be reformed to reflect "Mormon" ideals or left ambiguous? Will "God" be left as "God" or will the translation be "Gods" instead? If a verse is changed that currently is also found in the Book of Mormon, will the Book of Mormon undergo a change as well?

The Jehovah Witnesses gave out their own Bible in 1961. Anyone who has read it knows how their scriptures slant interpretations. Will the "Mormon" Bible also have such slants, but just with a Mormon slant instead?

Who will do the translation and give final approval? How involved will the GAs be with this translation? Will the GAs have a veto right?

Edited by bcuzbcuz
Posted

I would think that if ever the Church did decide to official promulgate a new in-house translation (I see copyright and standardization for international versions being a compelling reason to do so - it's actually part of the genius of the NWT), they would turn it over to those who would put the same rigor and candor into it that was done with their history with the JSPP. I think there are probably valid reasons why they haven't done so yet. The translation could either be a huge praiseworthy work (like the JSPP), or, if it is too slanted, could be an embarassing disaster.

The Church has shown it is currently open to valid historical criticism concerning its modern history, and it has the resources and experts inhouse to be cutting edge on that matter.

It does not as yet have the resources to be the same when it comes to the Biblical Scriptures. BYU definitely has the potential to be such a wing - but perhaps it's just not there yet.

Posted

I would think that if ever the Church did decide to official promulgate a new in-house translation (I see copyright and standardization for international versions being a compelling reason to do so - it's actually part of the genius of the NWT), they would turn it over to those who would put the same rigor and candor into it that was done with their history with the JSPP. I think there are probably valid reasons why they haven't done so yet. The translation could either be a huge praiseworthy work (like the JSPP), or, if it is too slanted, could be an embarassing disaster.

The Church has shown it is currently open to valid historical criticism concerning its modern history, and it has the resources and experts inhouse to be cutting edge on that matter.

It does not as yet have the resources to be the same when it comes to the Biblical Scriptures. BYU definitely has the potential to be such a wing - but perhaps it's just not there yet.

Not exactly the Church. Its BYU. And not strictly a new translation-- a new translation and commentary.

Posted

What will a "Mormon" translation look like? Will it be as accurate as possible, or will it try to give a "Mormon" flavor and tone to the scriptures? Will questionable passages be reformed to reflect "Mormon" ideals or left ambiguous? Will "God" be left as "God" or will the translation be "Gods" instead? If a verse is changed that currently is also found in the Book of Mormon, will the Book of Mormon undergo a change as well?

The Jehovah Witnesses gave out their own Bible in 1961. Anyone who has read it knows how their scriptures slant interpretations. Will the "Mormon" Bible also have such slants, but just with a Mormon slant instead?

Who will do the translation and give final approval? How involved will the GAs be with this translation? Will the GAs have a veto right?

We shall have to wait and see. It has not been released and only very modestly discussed.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...