Rob Osborn Posted March 20, 2013 Posted March 20, 2013 Moving goalpost.Not at all. The GC shows various continuous, even numerous, layers of relatively flat layers of sediment. But we know that typically on ocean and lake beds that it is not flat at all and that deposits are not laid generally in a uniform manner. My point is to try to show that what we actually see in the GC is not n action process that is currently happening anywhere on the planet. We know that the slow processof sedimentation currently taking place on our ocean floors is completely nonuniform and that the ocean floor is anything but flat which would be required if sedimentation as seen in the GC were to take place.
CASteinman Posted March 20, 2013 Posted March 20, 2013 Not at all. Yes, it is. You asked for something. I gave it to you. Then you said "not good enough.. go find something else with these added restrictions". I'm not going to play that game.
LDSGuy Posted March 20, 2013 Posted March 20, 2013 (edited) If the pair of 'unclean' animals is analogous to the 'temple-worthy' man and woman, whatdo the 7 pairs of 'clean' animals represent?Here are some passages in the Doctrine and Covenants:94:8-9 - And ye shall not suffer any unclean thing to come in unto it; and my glory shallbe there, and my presence shall be there. But if there shall come into it any uncleanthing, my glory shall not be there; and my presence shall not come into it.97:15 - And inasmuch as my people build a house unto me in the name of the Lord, anddo not suffer any unclean thing to come into it, that it be not defiled, my glory shall restupon it;109:20 - And that no unclean thing shall be permitted to come into thy house to polluteit;Do you still follow the premise that a pair of unclean animals represents a temple-goingmale and female? From the standpoint of the Mosaic Law, what do believe the clean andunclean animals represent?Thanks,JimUnclean identifies the type of animal associated in Moses' day. Unclean identifies the type, not that they are intrinsically unclean. I am open to being wrong, and don't stake my testimony on my opinions, because I am human and could be wrong. LOLAlso, unclean in those scriptures refers to worthiness of the individual, not their physical features. Is the person clean by obedience to the commandments. The animals were unclean based on their kind. Edited March 20, 2013 by LDSGuy
Rob Osborn Posted March 20, 2013 Posted March 20, 2013 Yes, it is. You asked for something. I gave it to you. Then you said "not good enough.. go find something else with these added restrictions".I'm not going to play that game.All I am asking for is to see the same results that are naturally presently occurring that are the same as we see in the Grand Canyon sediment layers. Nowhere on earth is that presently occurring.
CASteinman Posted March 20, 2013 Posted March 20, 2013 All I am asking for is to see the same results that are naturally presently occurring that are the same as we see in the Grand Canyon sediment layers. Nowhere on earth is that presently occurring.You have asked me to see that and I have already told you.. I see something different. You asked me for a certain type of evidence. I gave it to you. That was not enough. You wanted something else instead.But here's the thing: I am not trying to convince you to change your mind. I am perfectly fine if you want to believe in a young earth and all the other things associated with that. It doesn't bother me and I don't insist that you have to see it a different way.I am not trying to change your views.So don't keep asking me for evidence to do that. I am not trying to make you believe something you do not want to believe.
bcuzbcuz Posted March 20, 2013 Posted March 20, 2013 Remains of an ancient lake are supposed to represent what is seen in the geologic column? Not sure I understand.There is a reason I mention the salt flats of Bonneville, Utah (although the situation is identical to any salt flat, many more than just the few I mentioned, they just happen to be salt flats I've been to). Every year, following the spring flood and everything dries out, the salt flats are perfectly flat. So flat, indeed, that race cars can depend on a flat surface, smooth enough and long enough to get cars (or bikes, or whatever they're racing) up to speed to set records. The flat stretch must be long enough, flat enough, straight enough, wide enough, to do test runs, then get up to speed, attempt a record and then slow down, all while giving enough space for vehicle and driver safety.And that happens every year at Bonneville. Those flats have been there for many, many thousands of years. The layers are no longer as thick because of salt and potash mining.But the salt mines in Poland cover an area that is almost a thousand feet (300 meters) thick and runs for 178 miles long (280 kilometers). They have been mined for 800 years and an awful lot of table salt comes from these mines. The salt runs in straight, long layers, easily observed as you descend the elevator to the depths. Tourists go there, not for the salt, but to see the unbelievable sculptures and chapels the miners have built over the centuries, all in salt. Check out the pictures: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wieliczka_Salt_MineBut since you mention the Grand Canyon, you need to understand that the thickness of the individual layers is not the key factor when comparing layers. The thicknesses vary but the pattern does not, (or at least the pattern is repeated continually with small variations by thin intruder lines) Here's an example. Here's a diagram:http://dept.astro.lsa.umich.edu/~cowley/grand33.jpgHere's the real thing.http://www.bobspixels.com/kaibab.org/geology/gc_geol.jpghttp://www.bobspixels.com/kaibab.org/images/gc_bapnt.jpgThose who claim the Grand canyon was laid down in a year (or years) following Noah's flood have never dug through the rocks themselves or when faced with a conflict between their religious beliefs and the geological evidence have opted to throw out the geologic evidence in order to maintain their belief.
bcuzbcuz Posted March 20, 2013 Posted March 20, 2013 All I am asking for is to see the same results that are naturally presently occurring that are the same as we see in the Grand Canyon sediment layers. Nowhere on earth is that presently occurring.Sorry, wrong again. I've already stated places like the salt flats in Europe, Africa, South America and North America, all of which I've been to, but pick any geology book about the flooding of the Mississippi basin or what happened for thousands of years with the flooding in the valley of the Nile (until the Aswan Dam was built). You've already been told about the ocean floor but you choose to ignore it. Go dig in your own backyard and see the layers of earth. In a million years someone will dig up your backyard again and see your old lawn, crushed into a tissue paper thin line of brown. Leave them a note.
Nathair/|\ Posted March 20, 2013 Posted March 20, 2013 Cool where in the Journal of Discourses did you find that, or was it something that Bruce R McConkie wrote in Mormon Doctrine?There are other sources, even hidden treasures of knowledge, if one just takes time to look.
Stone holm Posted March 21, 2013 Posted March 21, 2013 There are other sources, even hidden treasures of knowledge, if one just takes time to look.Some would say in all the wrong places...but they are so much fun!
Recommended Posts