EllenMaksoud Posted March 14, 2013 Author Posted March 14, 2013 Sorry Ellen, I haven't quite figured out how you just select part of a quote to respond to. I intended only to respond to the reference to Gaia. Gaia is also a scientific postulate of sorts which was formed by two scientists as they were trying to determine indicators of whether a planet could support life as we know it without actually having to visit the planet. The names escape me, I am getting a bit old for this, but I believe one was named Lynn Margulis. In any event, they came up with the Gaia theory which basically postulated that Gaia (meaning the Earth) was in fact a living organism or system -- in the early formulations there was an intimation that she might even be sentient although I believe they backed away from that. This is consistent with Mormon doctrine and in fact there are references which support that idea, however, we do not worship Gaia, nor do we believe that she is a part of God any more than we are a part of God. It does appear, however, that we are eternally connected to Gaia -- at least if we become celestialized, and various GA over the years have said that no Angelic messengers have come to the Earth except those that will be or have been born here, and that if we become Celestial this is where we will stay. I do not know if there is doctrine as to whether humans on other planets who become Celestial will come here or not -- I think not, but that is just me, I don't recall having read anyone in authority directly answering that.I have heard some environmentalists question whether or not we are parasites to Gaia, and we have, or rather our progenitor, was transported here from elsewhere as were probably some of the building blocks to life here. But I suspect that Gaia probably is a system created by the gods when the Earth was prepared to become what it became. [i am not inviting a discussion of evolution here -- am stating some of this in overly simplistic terms.]I'm a pretty new Mormon, and my thinking is poluted with EV and Muslim thought. For me, I heard about the idea of Gaia in a Japanese Anime Cartoon, and it made sense to me. That's all the research I have done on the subject. As far as humans being an infestation that is destructive to Gaia, I agree with that, and I wrote a Science Fiction story with that premise. It has LDS content in it and also relates my own pilgrimage as I was first being taught. It's 10,000 words; 25 pages if you'd like to read it. If your email is in your profile, I can send it to you.
Stone holm Posted March 14, 2013 Posted March 14, 2013 I'm a pretty new Mormon, and my thinking is poluted with EV and Muslim thought. For me, I heard about the idea of Gaia in a Japanese Anime Cartoon, and it made sense to me. That's all the research I have done on the subject. As far as humans being an infestation that is destructive to Gaia, I agree with that, and I wrote a Science Fiction story with that premise. It has LDS content in it and also relates my own pilgrimage as I was first being taught. It's 10,000 words; 25 pages if you'd like to read it. If your email is in your profile, I can send it to you.James Lovelock was the other scientist who collaborated with Lynn Margulis. If you are interested in material for Sci-Fi, you should check out his early books on the Gaia hypothesis. I suspect there was a lot of the Gaia hypothesis that went into the movie Avatar
wenglund Posted March 14, 2013 Posted March 14, 2013 I was converted to the mormon faith, and eventually baptized approximately 12 yrs ago (age 58) in the Keene NH ward. Although I still find myself reading the Ensign etc... I stopped attending services based solely on one doctrine, that Heavenly Father was once a man like us... Whether or not He has a physical body is not really an issue. Would love to get past my hang up about Heavenly Father being once a man, and that those of us who inherit a certain degree in heaven, will also someday become a god...Did you have a problem with God, the Son, once being a man?Thanks, -Wade Englund-
Nathair/|\ Posted March 14, 2013 Posted March 14, 2013 Although that name isn't used, Gaia is mentioned in LDS Scripture. 1
EllenMaksoud Posted March 15, 2013 Author Posted March 15, 2013 Did you have a problem with God, the Son, once being a man?Thanks, -Wade Englund-To be frank, I have never felt the presure to agree with every little jot and title of anyone's doctrine. For me, Heavenly Father's having once been a man is a fair stretch. Still, maybe down the road, I will understand things differently. I think there is a difference in the LDS church in that it is a living and dynamic organisim. Some of the other places I've been, not so much. For example, take the case where Joseph Smith is known to have drank and smoked. That bothered me for a few minutes then it occured to me that our church is led by a Prophet and I think that they have devoutly and skillfully guided us for how many years since? Present Prophet does not allow certain things.So, getting back on subject, for Heavenly Father to have once been a man, it would have to have been way before the Big Bang. However, I would not try to breech that subject with someone that did not have a lot of time, and was already devout.
EllenMaksoud Posted March 15, 2013 Author Posted March 15, 2013 Although that name isn't used, Gaia is mentioned in LDS Scripture. That is really informative. Thank You
Stone holm Posted March 18, 2013 Posted March 18, 2013 Although that name isn't used, Gaia is mentioned in LDS Scripture. Excellent reference. Had always thought of that in a metaphoric sense, but it would fit with the Gaia hypothesis as it was originally suggested with the Earth as a sentient system.
Recommended Posts