Mormonism, Islam, And The Question Of Other Religions

Daniel Peterson

[Daniel Peterson ] quoted the Prophet as saying, "If it has been demonstrated that I have been willing to die for a 'Mormon,' I am bold to declare before heaven that I am just as ready to die in defending the rights of a Presbyterian, a Baptist, or a good man of any other denomination; for the same principle which would trample upon the rights of the Latter-day Saints would trample upon the rights of the Roman Catholics, or of any other denomination who may be unpopular and too weak to defend themselves."

great quote.

I really liked the quote you gave from the Koran in your Mormon Stories interview about God creating many faiths so they would compete to show who could produce the best works. Can you tell me the reference? I'd like to use it some time.

Thanks.

From the article in the OP

Joseph Smith: "When we see virtuous qualities in men, we should always acknowledge them, let their understanding be what it may in relation to creeds and doctrine; for all men are, or ought to be free, possessing inalienable rights ... to think and act, and say as they please, while they maintain a due respect to the rights and privileges of all other creatures, infringing upon none."

Warning: I just cleaned up this thread from turning into a political commentary on Islam. Anyone who does so will be banned from the thread and/or suspended.

Dr. Peterson is kind enough to link his publications for our discussion. Let's not trample them under our cloven hooves.

Warning: I just cleaned up this thread from turning into a political commentary on Islam. Anyone who does so will be banned from the thread and/or suspended.

Thank you!

I really liked the quote you gave from the Koran in your Mormon Stories interview about God creating many faiths so they would compete to show who could produce the best works. Can you tell me the reference? I'd like to use it some time. Thanks.

It's Qur’an 5:48, starting a little before the middle of the verse. Here's my hasty translation, for the moment, from the original Arabic:

"To each of you we assigned a law and a program. If God had willed, he would have made you one community, but [he intended] to test you with regard to what he gave you. So compete with one another with respect to good deeds. Unto God you will return, all of you, and he will inform you regarding that wherein you differ."

Thank you!

It's Qur’an 5:48, starting a little before the middle of the verse. Here's my hasty translation, for the moment, from the original Arabic:

"To each of you we assigned a law and a program. If God had willed, he would have made you one community, but [he intended] to test you with regard to what he gave you. So compete with one another with respect to good deeds. Unto God you will return, all of you, and he will inform you regarding that wherein you differ."

Thank you very much. I'll be taking an Asian Humanities course this semester and one of the books we are reading is T.B Irving (translator), Selections from the Noble Reading: An Anthology of Passages from the Qur’an. Do you mind if I ask you for your insights on what we read when the time comes?

Archived