Holy Ghost = Charity

Lately I've been thinking about this breakdown:

Faith = Law of Sacrifice

Hope = Law of Gospel

Charity = Law of Consecration

Adam only had faith when he started sacrifices

Hope comes through the atonement

Then after we keep ourselves pure

We have charity for all people. If we treat everyone as Christ would, that to me is akin to the law of consecration

Any thoughts? (I'm giving a talk on hope and the atonement on Sunday)

On a prior discussion this was brought up:

Faith = Law of Sacrifice

Hope = Law of Gospel

We have charity for all people. If we treat everyone as Christ would, that to me is akin to the law of consecration

I think this is an interesting breakdown. Explaining the LDS temple covenants (which includes both sacrifice as the second and consecration as the fifth), Hugh Nibley wrote,

The first is obedience, the restraint on the individual's power. The second is restraint on possession of things; the eternal spirit cannot be attached to them—one must be willing to sacrifice. The third puts restraints on personal behavior, it mandates deportment, self-control to make oneself agreeable to all. The fourth is restraint on uncontrolled appetites, desires, and passions, for what could be more crippling on the path of eternal progression than those carnal obsessions which completely take over the mind and body? Finally, the fifth covenant is a limitation on the innate selfishness of the other four—everything you have must be set apart to the everlasting benefit of all.

You might find some helpful stuff on my blog, which touches on consecration and sacrifice: http://theslowhunch.blogspot.com/2011/05/what-shall-i-do-that-i-may-inherit.html

My thought is a question. Why these? ---> "God = Faith, Christ = Hope, Holy Ghost = Charity"

We have faith in God, hope comes through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, and if there were no Holy Ghost then there would be no charity.

On a prior discussion this was brought up:

Faith = Law of Sacrifice

Hope = Law of Gospel

I suggest talking about each as principles of action, or what can motivate us into action.

For example, I think that to have hope is to think that something "may be" possible, with the thought that "maybe it is" being what motivates us into action.

To have faith is to have an assurance that something really is possible which then gives us an even stronger motivation to do something about it.

To have charity is to want to do something that will benefit someone else, with thinking you can do that being the best reason of all to want to do anything.