Seriously No Politics ×

BYU Forgives Player

David Bokovoy

Here's the standard I endorse -- making a decision based upon the unique circumstances of each case. This includes taking into consideration the nature and seriousness of the allegations, the underlying facts and circumstances leading to those allegations, the athlets's past conduct (both positive and negative), the athlete's current attitude, and any other circumstances and facts which may either mitigate or exacerbate the situation.

In other words, forget the rules or living up to a certain standard. If for example we need you in March, we will make an exception. Yes, its situational ethics, but hey, whats wrong with that?

You seem quick to condemn Overton and Washington's handling of the matter based solely on the nature and seriousness of the allegations alone. You have no knowledge of any of the other factors and apparently don't consider them relevant.

I and various sports writers who know the situation would disagree with you. These were "two" 16 year old girls that he slept with. And if you really believe they needed to wait for "proof" then you would also be forced to condemned them for even suspending him during the seeding. They did so because the proof was convincing. So apparently if you are an athlete and you sleep with two 16 year olds and ply them with alcohol, its ok. The rest of the sordid affair is a reflection of the schools need for champions, not the need of the athlete.

As I said, it may be that sleeping with 16 year olds deserves a limited suspension. After all, March Madness is important, and we are there to win, and so we need every man. I am sure going forward the student athlete will know the limits of society. As long as he is key, and keeps winning, its all good.

Just ask OJ.

In other words, forget the rules or living up to a certain standard.

Whatever. If you think that's even close to what I was saying, then there's no point in carrying this on any further.

And if you really believe they needed to wait for "proof" then you would also be forced to condemned them for even suspending him during the seeding.

Again, not even close to what I was saying. I list a series a factors that I think should be taken into consideration, and you latch on to one as if it's the only thing I mentioned. You're doing a real good job convincing me that you're condemndation is righteous judgment.

Just ask OJ.

I can think of a good number of anti's that would resort to similar rhetoric.

I just find it interesting that the antis fall into the camp of "the Church and anything or anybody associated with the Church can never do good and if there is even a chance that they might do something good, all efforts must be afforded to destroy that vile, evil image and Jaybear, you fall squarely into the camp from the post of yours that I remember.

I have read posts from good members of the Church here on the board who have criticized "the Brethren", but I don't ever remember reading a post of yours where you ever complimented "the Brethren" or anything related to the Church.

Hear hear! If you would like to regain some credibility, Jaybear, I recommend making a post in which you sincerely compliment the Church or "the Brethren" in some fashion. It would be refreshing reading at the least.

Whatever. If you think that's even close to what I was saying, then there's no point in carrying this on any further.

Again, not even close to what I was saying. I list a series a factors that I think should be taken into consideration, and you latch on to one as if it's the only thing I mentioned. You're doing a real good job convincing me that you're condemndation is righteous judgment.

I can think of a good number of anti's that would resort to similar rhetoric.

Judgement has already been rendered. The coachs did that themselves. The penalty is what is in question. Based on the penality the system in that school is loud and clear: If you are a good athlete you can get away with getting two 16 year old girls drunk and sleeping with the two 16 year old girls.

Missing out on a tournament that was considered a minor act of seeding, but coming out for the March tournament reflects that the skills of the athlete far outweigh the moral value of the man.

The question remains. Is this what we want our children going to college to learn? Is this the world we want?

Judgement has already been rendered. The coachs did that themselves.

And the coache's judgment was limited to the narrow issue of whether the kid should be disciplined, within the confines of the team. And that decision was likely based on much more information than you or the media are privy to.

Your judgment is on an entirely separate matter and without the benefit of all the relevant facts.

Frankly, how are you being any different than those critics that attack the Church over a particular decision made by a disciplinary council?

Hear hear! If you would like to regain some credibility, Jaybear, I recommend making a post in which you sincerely compliment the Church or "the Brethren" in some fashion. It would be refreshing reading at the least.

Silly request.

I enjoy engaging in a vigorous discussion of politics and religion with people who disagree with me. I find such discussions more entertaining, diversionary, and insightful than discussions with people who agree with me.

It is an unfortunate, regrettable, and predictable that those on the other side of issue will often feel the need to resort to personal attack, and as here question the sincerity of my opinion, suggesting that my opinion is colored by some underlying bigotry and not by my underlying principals.

That said, for this topic, I applaud the decision of the Brethren to dismiss from the sports team, those players who were arrested for drunk driving, those players who were accused of rape, and that one player that stole money from an old lady .. Ruffner? Does that make you feel better?

That said, for this topic, I applaud the decision of the Brethren to dismiss from the sports team, those players who were arrested for drunk driving, those players who were accused of rape, and that one player that stole money from an old lady .. Ruffner? Does that make you feel better?

Not much. It seems to be lacking something in the sincerity department, since you can't even remember the names.

Archived