Sealing Question

There are some issues I have understanding what sealing really means because of some inconsistencies with the teachings and opinions of church leaders.

For one, is it a commandment that one MUST be sealed to be able to inherit the Celestial Kingdom?

If that is so, what about the homosexual and asexual classes that have no romantic desires and never intend to be married?

What does it mean if single parents with children don't want to be married and cannot get sealed as a family? Does it mean in the after-life they cannot be together as a family? It isn't as if parents and children have the same form of love and affection that a person should only commit to ones you are married with.

Also, it is possible to be sealed some day through temple work, and yet I have heard many say certain men practiced polygamy in the church for purposes of sealing only, but why was it so critical for a woman to become sealed if she could someday through temple work?

For one, is it a commandment that one MUST be sealed to be able to inherit the Celestial Kingdom?

Yes, but it can be done in proxy for those who do not have the opportunity.

If that is so, what about the homosexual and asexual classes that have no romantic desires and never intend to be married?

Sealing doesn't always represent mairrage, you are sealed to your parents as well. As for that... in the next life, they will not have those difficult desires, so they will be proxy-sealed to someone when Christ comes I think. At the same time, mairrage isn't always about romantic desires, and so some people who struggle with this will be able to have a wife some day.

What does it mean if single parents with children don't want to be married and cannot get sealed as a family? Does it mean in the after-life they cannot be together as a family? It isn't as if parents and children have the same form of love and affection that a person should only commit to ones you are married with.

You mean they adopted? Same thing. Proxy to someone eventually, I think. God wants everyone to be in a family up there, in the celestial.

However, just because you don't want to be married... I'm not sure how God would look upon that as a reason =/.

Also, it is possible to be sealed some day through temple work, and yet I have heard many say certain men practiced polygamy in the church for purposes of sealing only, but why was it so critical for a woman to become sealed if she could someday through temple work?

Dunno about why it was so critical, yes, it is possible in proxy through temple work, but God will only allow those who deserve it to have it. Thus everyone will be done, but only those who live the righteousness to get into the celestial will have the sealing be used towards being an exalted couple.

There isn't direct scripture on this... but I think it's assumable... so yah.

Best Wishes, hope I helped =).

TAO

I was under the impressions that sealing by proxy was done to married couples who had their baptism either in life or in proxy but didn't get sealed in their lifetime.

I didn't know you could get sealed if you didn't get married during your lifetime.

I for one have no intentions of ever getting married so I cannot accept the fact that just because I have not a romantic bone in my body that I am going to be forced to be sealed. That is just a kind of difficult thing to comprehend.

I was under the impressions that sealing by proxy was done to married couples who had their baptism either in life or in proxy but didn't get sealed in their lifetime.

It is. For now. When Christ comes, the names come =).

I didn't know you could get sealed if you didn't get married during your lifetime.

You rarely can right now, I think. Again, when Christ comes, we will get the names we need to seal =D.

I for one have no intentions of ever getting married so I cannot accept the fact that just because I have not a romantic bone in my body that I am going to be forced to be sealed. That is just a kind of difficult thing to comprehend.

You won't be forced to, you'll have a choice, up there. Same as people who get baptized for the dead. But I do not know why you would turn it down.

Hmm.... if I may ask... why do you not intend to get married?

Best Wishes,

TAO

Asexuality

Mairrage is not all about sex, that it isn't =).

Children, yes... but sex... nah.

Let me tell you a bit about me and the person whom I wish to date.

The girl whom I like currently, also, is/was leaning towards not getting married.

With alot of work, I have changed that somewhat - she will consider dating me.

She is very much a person who does not like the things normally associated with mairrage.

She is still willing to try and date me though.

I look at mairrage rather differently than other people do...

It's not about what the world obsesses over... sex... lust... all those things

It's about serving another human being... and sacrificing yourself for that other human being.

It's about being kind, and caring for another person.

It's about protecting others, and loving with all your heart.

People these days don't look at mairrage like that... it seems mairrage these days is looked upon like some toy or flimsy thing.

It is looked upon these days like an excuse for lust and greed.

It is looked upon these days with less care and hesitance that it should.

If I may... I would suggest you don't look at it that way. Don't look at it the way the world does.

It is something much more than that... and you aren't really looking for mairrage even... you are looking for the right person.

Be picky. But also be open. Look for what you really desire in it.

God wants us to get married for a reason, that he does... but you have to decide what mairrage is worth for.

Ask God personally, how he would like you to look at it... how he would desire you to act and to serve.

You'll get an answer, if you seek for it hard enough, I promise =).

Best Wishes,

TAO

If I have a choice, why would I accept a sealing of someone I didn't love? That kind of sounds like arranged marriage to me.

Let's say this... there is a perfect person out there... the person who of all things, would convince you to get married... simply because the way she is... she's so... perfect. Your grand exception. Your one weakness - and strength.

When we get to the celestial kingdom, if we do, the person who will be sealed to us will be this. Perfect and pure beyond belief. Loving and serving of you beyond belief. Caring of you beyond belief. Doing everything she can for you beyond belief. Total sacrifice is really powerful Nathan, that it is. When I see total sacrifice, I am moved to totally sacrifice back. In two totally sacrificing individuals is the perfect mairrage made.

You know how God loves you, and it feels good to know he loves you.

Marriage is about showing that love to another person. And that person showing that love to you.

Love, and care, and sacrifice, until the end, that it is =).

I know I may be a bit of a dreamer, but eh, being a dreamer isn't so bad when you know your doing the right thing =).

Best Wishes,

TAO

Edited by TAO

I believe to get to the highest 'level' in the celestial kingdom you must be sealed to a spouse. I think if you don't do it in your current life, there will be time during the resurrection for it to happen assuming you want it to happen. It might not be until the resurrection that you meet someone you feel you could marry. I am not sure it is something I would worry too much about.

I joined the Church and shortly there after realized that as a single parent (at that time) I couldn't be sealed to my children. It was very hard for me. I know a lady in our ward that adopted a daughter as a single parent and can't be sealed to her. It is very hard for her. That being said, neither of us was willing to let that deter us from the faith we believed in. In my situation, I wanted to get married and I did eventually and it all worked out that my husband and I could be sealed to my daughters. It took a lot of loop jumping and figuring out red tape, but it worked. For the lady in my ward, I don't believe she has any intention of ever marrying. That being said, I think that if she did want to and couldn't find someone now, she would during the resurrection. Maybe someone who like her, wasn't into sex, didn't really like touch and such. Or maybe a 'perfected' body means that we will want things that right now for whatever reason we don't and marriage/sealing would work for her then.