poulsenll Posted January 24, 2011 Posted January 24, 2011 With all the discussions about BofM geography and where BofM geographic features are located, I was wondering how many have this program and know how to use it.It is free and allows you to look at geography anywhere on earth in three dimensions. It allows you to see the altitude of geographic features where ever you place the curser and rapidly compare elevations.Larry P
mapman Posted January 25, 2011 Posted January 25, 2011 Yes, I do. It is one of the most useful programs out there, for all sorts of things including Book of Mormon geography. It is the best source for satalite imagery and terrain data. NASA's World Wind has some features that Google Earth doesn't that I find useful as well.
Zakuska Posted January 25, 2011 Posted January 25, 2011 Here is a Google Earth File with many of the proposed old-world Locations of the events:http://www.elektroteck.com/images/TripToValleyofLemuel.kmzYou can read more about that here:http://www.nephiproject.com/
frankenstein Posted January 25, 2011 Posted January 25, 2011 though i have 3.2ghz processor and 2gb of ram, this computer can not handle google very well. I have used it on other computers. I like to use it and terrarserver or old topo maps, when I go to the mountains, the old topo maps have that are not marked or very visible.
Mudcat Posted January 25, 2011 Posted January 25, 2011 With all the discussions about BofM geography and where BofM geographic features are located, I was wondering how many have this program and know how to use it.It is free and allows you to look at geography anywhere on earth in three dimensions. It allows you to see the altitude of geographic features where ever you place the curser and rapidly compare elevations.Larry PHi LP <insert wave icon here>Good to see you about.I have used the program quite extensively in my stint of buying a house and selling one. Examining properties and so forth.My only disappointment with the program is it's lack of clarity on closeups. Though it gives great overviews of cities and so forth, you can't really zoom in and see a house with any clarity. At best, you get the impression of what your home property would like on an Atari 2600 (totally dated myself there).But all and all its a great program for overviews at a bit of a distance.I heard that public GPS programs were built with a fudge factor to differentiate between what the common Joe has vs. the accuracy of the Fed.Never tried Google Earthing the Columbia area, but might give it a spin, as a you have made me consider some neat ideas in that respect.Regards,Mudcat
frankenstein Posted January 25, 2011 Posted January 25, 2011 i used to watch lots of "gun cam" videos coming out of Iraq, I would input the cooridnates in google earth to see what got hit.My disappointment with Google Earth is that the whole earth is not map with the clarity of say my residence. For the first few years of google earth where my parents lived was not on google earth with the closest zoom.
curtishouse30 Posted January 26, 2011 Posted January 26, 2011 With all the discussions about BofM geography and where BofM geographic features are located, I was wondering how many have this program and know how to use it.It is free and allows you to look at geography anywhere on earth in three dimensions. It allows you to see the altitude of geographic features where ever you place the curser and rapidly compare elevations.Larry PYeah I have it (or at least I used to...not sure if it's still installed on my computer). It serves its purpose even though it isn't that awe-inspiring imo. It would be something when they start a video feed of that even though I'm sure people would complaining up a storm about privacy issues. I used it more often than not to find different churches and also to see shots of my former hometown and such. It's well worth the money LOL
Doug the Hutt Posted January 26, 2011 Posted January 26, 2011 though i have 3.2ghz processor and 2gb of ram, this computer can not handle google very well. I have used it on other computers. I like to use it and terrarserver or old topo maps, when I go to the mountains, the old topo maps have that are not marked or very visible.frankenstein,http://earth.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=20701 Minimum: Operating System: Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7CPU: Pentium 3, 500MhzSystem Memory (RAM): 256MBHard Disk: 400MB free spaceNetwork Speed: 128 Kbits/secGraphics Card: DirectX9 and 3D capable with 64MB of VRAMScreen: 1024x768, "16-bit High Color" - DirectX 9 (to run in Direct X mode)Recommended: Operating System: Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7CPU: Pentium 4 2.4GHz+ or AMD 2400xp+System Memory (RAM): 512MBHard Disk: 2GB free spaceNetwork Speed: 768 Kbits/secGraphics Card: DirectX9 and 3D capable with 256MB of VRAMScreen: 1280x1024, "32-bit True Color" 3.2GHz is overkill to run Google Earth. Do you have a DX9 video card (or is it a crappy Intel barely-good-enough-for-email integrated solution)?
SeattleGrunge Posted January 26, 2011 Posted January 26, 2011 Here is a Google Earth File with many of the proposed old-world Locations of the events:http://www.elektroteck.com/images/TripToValleyofLemuel.kmzYou can read more about that here:http://www.nephiproject.com/Zakuska, that first link isn't working for me. Could you verify it? I would like to have that file if it still exists.Thanks,
Sargon Posted January 27, 2011 Posted January 27, 2011 I've attached a KMZ file that is my attempt to map out Sorenson's geography in Google Earth. I realize that there are issues with his geography, but I don't know of anyone else who is (1) so well qualified and (2) has proposed such an exhaustive geography. At the least it provides an approximation that serves to show the scale of BoM geography.
Sargon Posted January 27, 2011 Posted January 27, 2011 Well it looks like I wasn't able to attach it after all. I tried.Email me at lehislibrary@gmail.com if you'd like it.
Anijen Posted January 29, 2011 Posted January 29, 2011 I tried putting in some coordinates I thought were in Mesoamerica and ended up somewhere in China. So I try it manually some coordinates I read on Paulsen's site and I saw no hill. I definitely do not know how to use it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
poulsenll Posted January 29, 2011 Author Posted January 29, 2011 I tried putting in some coordinates I thought were in Mesoamerica and ended up somewhere in China. So I try it manually some coordinates I read on Paulsen's site and I saw no hill. I definitely do not know how to use it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.Here is a JPG. It shows the proposed Ramah/Cumorah. The minus sign in front of the Logtitude is very important. Without it you end up on the other side of the world.Note the bowl like nature of the area. This would certainly be advantageous to the Nephites. In addition there is a river with its headwaters within the ring of mountains and 16 acres of arable land inside the bowl.Larry P
Anijen Posted January 29, 2011 Posted January 29, 2011 Ah, that was my mistake. thanks for the info and the jpeg!
poulsenll Posted January 29, 2011 Author Posted January 29, 2011 Well it looks like I wasn't able to attach it after all. I tried.Email me at lehislibrary@gmail.com if you'd like it.Here is a link to the KMZ file. It opens as a directory of one zipped KML file that will open in Google Earth when selected by double clicking.http://www.poulsenll.org/google.htmlLarry P
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.