WalkerW Posted December 12, 2010 Posted December 12, 2010 I recently participated in an interfaith dialogue at the UNT Institute building on Dec. 10. It was with Brad Eggerton, a reformed evangelical and director of an upcoming documentary on Mormonism. Given the documentary's focus on grace, faith, and works, the topic of discussion was focused on those three points and their relationship. We both presented for 20-25 minutes and took written questions from the audience. The experience was enjoyable, respectful, and edifying. We did not bash, but simply explained our positions. It was a total success. I believe it has opened the door for future discussions with this particular evangelical church group (with whom the local LDS church has not had the greatest relationship with). For anyone interested, I have posted my written presentation at my blog. I have entitled it "Grace and Faith in History and Within the Context of Mormon Soteriology." I'd like to thank Tyler Andersen, Allen Hansen, Robert Boylan, David Larsen, David Bokovoy, and Daniel McClellan for reviewing my paper prior to the dialogue. You guys rock.
RBoylan Posted December 12, 2010 Posted December 12, 2010 I am happy to hear it went well, and am glad that I could have helped in whatever way I could.Did you bring up the issue of Romans 4:5-8 and David being re-justified (cf. Ps 32/51)? Was there a video made of the event? I would like to see it on youtube or elsewhere . . .Congrats on a job well done, Walker.
Hick Preacher Posted December 12, 2010 Posted December 12, 2010 I am happy to hear it went well, and am glad that I could have helped in whatever way I could.Did you bring up the issue of Romans 4:5-8 and David being re-justified (cf. Ps 32/51)? Was there a video made of the event? I would like to see it on youtube or elsewhere . . .Congrats on a job well done, Walker.Good for you Walker,Keep up your studies and presentations--they all work toward the good.I enjoyed your blog entry too-Hick-
Vance Posted December 12, 2010 Posted December 12, 2010 I thoroughly enjoyed it and found it to be very informative.
kolipoki09 Posted December 13, 2010 Posted December 13, 2010 I'm glad I could help Walker. I'm kicking myself that I wasn't able to be there, but I am happy that things turned out alright. We ought to get Brad to start posting here again.
Lance in TX Posted December 13, 2010 Posted December 13, 2010 I recently participated in an interfaith dialogue at the UNT Institute building on Dec. 10. It was with Brad Eggerton, a reformed evangelical and director of an upcoming documentary on Mormonism. Given the documentary's focus on grace, faith, and works, the topic of discussion was focused on those three points and their relationship. We both presented for 20-25 minutes and took written questions from the audience. The experience was enjoyable, respectful, and edifying. We did not bash, but simply explained our positions. It was a total success. I believe it has opened the door for future discussions with this particular evangelical church group (with whom the local LDS church has not had the greatest relationship with). For anyone interested, I have posted my written presentation at my blog. I have entitled it "Grace and Faith in History and Within the Context of Mormon Soteriology." I'd like to thank Tyler Andersen, Allen Hansen, Robert Boylan, David Larsen, David Bokovoy, and Daniel McClellan for reviewing my paper prior to the dialogue. You guys rock.Walker,I am glad it went well! I wish I had been able to go listen.Can you list who attended from the other Churches?We, our family, deal with members from that particular Calvinist Church group you mentioned every Monday because of Civil Air Patrol (we meet at the Malone building). Many of the members and leadership in the Squadron are from that Church. It has taken a long time and a lot of work, but I think they are a little friendlier toward us than they were when we offered the Church building for use.
WalkerW Posted December 13, 2010 Author Posted December 13, 2010 Walker,I am glad it went well! I wish I had been able to go listen.Can you list who attended from the other Churches?We, our family, deal with members from that particular Calvinist Church group you mentioned every Monday because of Civil Air Patrol (we meet at the Malone building). Many of the members and leadership in the Squadron are from that Church. It has taken a long time and a lot of work, but I think they are a little friendlier toward us than they were when we offered the Church building for use.Small world! My parents were in Denton when the Malone building was the only one. Do you know Kay and Tony Wright? Do you actually live in Denton?I can't offer any names of those from Denton Bible who attended. I was not familiar with any of the individuals, though they seemed to be the younger crowd (mid-20s). Jim Gwilliam moderated.
volgadon Posted December 13, 2010 Posted December 13, 2010 Thanks for the honourable mention, Walker! On behalf of the rest of the rogue's gallery, way to go!
Lance in TX Posted December 13, 2010 Posted December 13, 2010 Small world! My parents were in Denton when the Malone building was the only one. Do you know Kay and Tony Wright? Do you actually live in Denton?I can't offer any names of those from Denton Bible who attended. I was not familiar with any of the individuals, though they seemed to be the younger crowd (mid-20s). Jim Gwilliam moderated.Walker, I don't know them sorry. I do live in Denton and sat right next to you for the D&C class this semester at Institute.
WalkerW Posted December 13, 2010 Author Posted December 13, 2010 Walker, I don't know them sorry. I do live in Denton and sat right next to you for the D&C class this semester at Institute.Same Lance. Didn't see that one coming.
kolipoki09 Posted December 13, 2010 Posted December 13, 2010 Small world! My parents were in Denton when the Malone building was the only one. Do you know Kay and Tony Wright? Do you actually live in Denton?I can't offer any names of those from Denton Bible who attended. I was not familiar with any of the individuals, though they seemed to be the younger crowd (mid-20s). Jim Gwilliam moderated.I sincerely hope that DBC attendees were able to glean some useful and accurate information about Mormonism during the dialogue. While most DBC members I encountered as a missionary were openly hostile, rude, and incredibly closed-minded fundamentalists, I'm glad to see that there is a more open dialogue going on in Denton. Putting aside theological debates, I've found post-mission that DBC members to be awesome people. We make much better friends than enemies. I wonder how this will effect DBC's "cult" seminars?More than anyone, I hope it was a good experience for Brad. While some of his more "militantly" anti-Mormon associates believe LDS/Evangelical dialogues are akin to "playing patty-cake with Bob Millet," I hope that a social and civil divide can be bridged as a result of this.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.