The Sermon on The Mount

Olavarria

Can anyone point me to some good scholarly papers on the original context of the SoM?

I wanna know more about the original context. The sermon obviosly is, at least in part, a reaction to the things Christ saw going on around Him.

I want to know more about the culture of honor/face etc. that existed among Jews at that time. Any leads?

Can anyone point me to some good scholarly papers on the original context of the SoM?

I wanna know more about the original context. The sermon obviosly is, at least in part, a reaction to the things Christ saw going on around Him.

I want to know more about the culture of honor/face etc. that existed among Jews at that time. Any leads?

John Welch's new book on the Sermon on the Mount in Light of the Temple.

Eugene England spoke at a Sunstone in California once, talking about the legal context behind "turn the other cheek" and "go with him twain," etc. I think it was published.

Kevin Christensen

Pittsburgh, PA

Welch's view of the Sermon on the Mount and the Sermon at the Temple are wonderful approaches to both texts as Temple texts. It's definitiely not a comprehensive approach to the Sermons but a very specific example of Gospel patterns throughout sacred writ.

Big UP!

Lamanite

edit: I'm sure you know all of this Kevin I was replying more in general than to anyone specific.

Eugene England spoke at a Sunstone in California once, talking about the legal context behind "turn the other cheek" and "go with him twain," etc. I think it was published.

Kevin Christensen

Pittsburgh, PA

I have a blogpost on the legal and social contexts behind "turn the other cheek." http://calba-savua.blogspot.com/2010/07/he-gave-his-cheek-to-him-that-smiteth.html

Walker has a copy on his blog as well. I wrote it as a response to Bob Bett on facebook. Bob was using the sermon on the mount to blacken Joseph Smith's character.

Geza Vermes' The Authentic Gospel of Jesus has some useful tidbits.

Another article is Sinai Turan's A Neglected Rabbinic Parallel to the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 6:22-23; Luke 11:34-36), Journal of Biblical Literature; Spring2008, Vol. 127 Issue 1, p81-93.

Archived