Communion in Ancient America

Dr. Jd

Years ago I read "the Da Vinci Code." I remember one section that mentioned that when the Spaniards came over they found the indigenous populace performing a type of communion. Has anyone found a good resource for that statement? Was the statement based on facts or was it a Dan Brownism.

Years ago I read "the Da Vinci Code." I remember one section that mentioned that when the Spaniards came over they found the indigenous populace performing a type of communion. Has anyone found a good resource for that statement? Was the statement based on facts or was it a Dan Brownism.

Unfortunately, a "type of communion" could apply to all kinds of sacred contexts in which something is eaten. If you define it that loosely, then there was something like that. If you want to define it as a partaking of the body and blood, there was an all too literal practice for that as well. There were several things that many have pointed to, but nothing that I would say was a significant connection to the Christian practice.

That said, some early Spaniards thought there was a kind of sacrament, and that is likely where Dan Brown got it.

Archived