The Lost World of Genesis 1

maklelan

John Walton's new book, The Lost World of Genesis 1 has been receiving a lot of attention recently among biblical scholars (see here, here, here, here, here, and here). The book is a fresh look at Genesis 1 that some claim will change the way academia views creation. I think the book is important for biblical scholarship, but may also be fascinating to Latter-day Saints interested in the interpretation of Genesis 1 as a temple text, which is one of Walton's propositions. Following is a list of the first half of the chapters of his book:

1 - Genesis is an Ancient Cosmology

2 - Ancient Cosmology is Function Oriented

3 - Create (Hebrew bara) Concerns Function

4 - The Beginning State of Genesis 1 Is Nonfunctional

5 - Days One to Three in Genesis 1 Establish Functions

6 - Days Four to Six in Genesis 1 Install Functionaries

7 - Divine Rest is in A Temple

8 - The Cosmos is a Temple

9 - The Seven Days of Genesis 1 Relate to the Cosmic Temple Inauguration

10 - The Seven Days of Genesis 1 Do Not Concern Material Origins

Looks extraordinarily fascinating to me, as this has been a recent focus of my studies (and blog). Has anyone here read it?

I've read a bit of it, and it's a little on the devotional side (Evangelical), but the author has a more academic treatment of this research coming out soon. It's rather inexpensive, and I think it's worth the $11 for anyone looking for good research in this vein.

John Walton's new book, The Lost World of Genesis 1 has been receiving a lot of attention recently among biblical scholars (see here, here, here, here, here, and here). The book is a fresh look at Genesis 1 that some claim will change the way academia views creation. I think the book is important for biblical scholarship, but may also be fascinating to Latter-day Saints interested in the interpretation of Genesis 1 as a temple text, which is one of Walton's propositions. Following is a list of the first half of the chapters of his book:

1 - Genesis is an Ancient Cosmology

2 - Ancient Cosmology is Function Oriented

3 - "Create (Hebrew bara) Concerns Function

4 - The Beginning State of Genesis 1 Is Nonfunctional

5 - Days One to Three in Genesis 1 Establish Functions

6 - Days Four to Six in Genesis 1 Install Functionaries

7 - Divine Rest is in A Temple

8 - The Cosmos is a Temple

9 - The Seven Days of Genesis 1 Relate to the Cosmic Temple Inauguration

10 - The Seven Days of Genesis 1 Do Not Concern Material Origins

Mak, you really should stop posting these delicious tomes. I can't afford all of them, but....

This sounds interesting. Once of Nibley's last essays was on the Book of Abraham account as a temple drama. And Margaret Barker has offered a similar approach, seeing the text as describing the ritual of erecting the desert tabernacle (portable temple), rather than the creation of a planet.

Kevin Christensen

Pittsburgh, PA

Archived